Chicken To Bug Ratio - Yep I am getting scientific

Chicky_Baby

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
I need more chickens but I do not know how many to get. I have 6 Black Australorps at the moment and love them but I am also under a serious cricket and stink bug invasion. There is a total of 2 1/2 acres of grass but it is broken up with a 2400sq ft pig pen and a goat pen that is about 1/2 acre. I think the pigs would eat the chickens if I let them in and the goats are for dairy -raw milk - so I have been trying to keep them away from the hens for fear of their carrying disease. That leaves around 1 3/4 acres I need to remove the bugs from. Right now the chickens are doing a great job of keeping my deck area safe from creepy crawlies but that is it. As cold weather approaches the stupid bugs are coming into the house. I am not a cricket kind of girl - the stupid things make my skin crawl because they are everywhere. Seriously - yesterday I killed 6 of them and they just keep coming. We have a cattle farm next door and I suspect that the spilled grain is the reason I am having so much trouble. Can anyone make suggestions as to how many chicks to get next year to save me from a repeat performance?

PS too many eggs will not be a problem my dogs love them

Back
Top Bottom