Chicken to human cocci spread....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stoutfamily, Mar 26, 2011.

1. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Can humans catch coccidiosis from chickens?
    My hen just died and both my husband and I had quite a bit of contact with her.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:How do you know what she died from?

4. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Thanks for the link! Cocci isn't on there, so hopefully that means we probably won't get it. Just a little worried since we both have a case of the runs starting last night. [​IMG]

I'm fairly certain it was coccidiosis. She had bloody poo and the other symptoms of cocci. It took her in a just a few days... with the progression of coccidia noted on the web (below). Day 1, a little slower. Day 2 and 3, runny poo. Day 4-6, blood in stool and most likely to pass during these days. She died on what seems to be day 5, second day of bloody poo, last night.

"Coccidiosis caused by E. tenella first becomes noticeable at about three days after infection. Chickens droop, stop feeding, huddle together, and by the fourth day, blood begins to appear in the droppings. The greatest amount of blood appears by day five or six, and by the eighth or ninth day, the bird is either dead or on the way to recovery. Mortality is highest between the fourth and sixth days. Death may occur unexpectedly, owing to excessive blood loss."
    http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Coccidia is generally species specific. Thoroughly washing your hands etc...helps prevent contamination. I have a small plastic container with soapy bleachwater available to wash my hands for "just in case" moments/accidents.

6. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Nope, cocci is NOT zoonotic. But the other hens can become infected. cats or dogs COULD be susceptible so just keep an eye on them if you have any. perhaps bring a stool sample to the vet if other pets have had access to the chicken areas. Look for bloody stool in cats and dogs as you would in chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by