Chicken toe shut in door and nearly severed

Jcjohnson

Hatching
Jul 22, 2023
I was shutting the run door and one of my favorite hens ran after me and got her toe shut in the door! 🥺 it started to bleed immediately so I removed her and it looks like it almost severed off her toe. I washed it, sprayed vetericyn, wrapped it in gaues, vet tape and some water proof tape. I’m worried it’s not going to heal and or her middle toe tip with the nail will fall off. Ugh. Any suggestions??

I was shutting the run door and one of my favorite hens ran after me and got her toe shut in the door! 🥺 it started to bleed immediately so I removed her and it looks like it almost severed off her toe. I washed it, sprayed vetericyn, wrapped it in gaues, vet tape and some water proof tape. I’m worried it’s not going to heal and or her middle toe tip with the nail will fall off. Ugh. Any suggestions??
Hi! I'm so sorry!

I wouldn't wrap it, you can cut off blood supply. Bring her inside, keep it clean with warm soapy water, slather in plain antibiotic ointment, repeat twice a day for a week and monitor for infection. You may want to get some aqua mox in case it does get infected.

@MysteryChicken @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

With an injury like that I would apply Betadine or Neosporin and place her inside a dog crate on a clean old towel, with food and water. Change the towel often. It would be good to see a picture today or tomorrow. Dressings usually won’t stay on, and tape can get too tight if it slips or there is swelling.

Back
Top Bottom