chicken toys ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickengirlnm, Sep 27, 2007.

1. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I use suet in the winter when it's really cold. I just put it on the back porch floor.

2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Songster

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I just wanted to add that instead of using cabbage I do the same sort of thing with apples. I use fishing line and tie it tight so it cuts through the apple a little and then hang it. It doesn't last as long and I have to take the line down right away but it sure is fun to watch while they are playing with it!!

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    hencackle-
    Thanks for the WEston price link. We are trying to eat as locally & organically as we can here. We split a whole grass fed cow and organic pig with 3 other families and just signed up for a winter CSA of storage vegs, in addition to freezing as much as we could from our little plot. Thanks for the info.
    Stacey

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Somehow a large plastic tent stake ended up in our run. I was going to take it out but, I noticed the chickens like playing with it.

Funny I was just pondering what else they might like to play with. Thanks for the great ideas! [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    They really enjoyed the Jack-o-Lantern I put in the tractor. I carved off the face and left the lid off, so they could climb right through it. They chowed down!

1 person likes this.
  6. BJ

BJ Songster

Mar 20, 2007
  7. vyvial

vyvial In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I hung a cd from fishing line in the coop, it works like a disco ball (they chase the light moving around) and the hens peck at it (their reflection), I think the likely hood of them hanging themselves is about as likely as them drowning in their own water.

8. Grammi

Grammi Songster

Jan 12, 2007
    Rogers City, Michigan
    That is a good idea, do they ever break it?

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i use parrot toys...they are safe for strong parrot beaks...and so, i would assume they are safe for chickens also..

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:ooh good idea! PLUS it will help keep away hawks!...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by