Chicken tractor accident

pinewoodacres

Songster
Oct 2, 2021
Levy County, Florida
Today we were moving 5.5 week old chicks from our 4x8 brooder tractor and I set it down on the head or neck of one of them. It’s not horribly heavy (2x4 base and PVC/hardware cloth hoops) and I didn’t drop it, just gently put it back down after we had lifted it maybe 6 inches to grab some of them.

I heard squawking and saw flapping so I picked it back up and he backed up into the tractor again. I think he had probably been pulling himself backward to try to free himself and possibly hurt his neck in the process. I can’t be sure but I don’t think the weight of the tractor would be enough to hurt him as it’s on sand, but the struggling, yes.

Anyway, once back in the tractor, he looked to be doing death throes. I thought for sure I killed him. But then he stopped and sat there with his eyes half closed, did some more of the throes, and stood up after a minute. He walked a little off kilter and he has his wings down. But he has been running (from us trying to catch him), chirping (when he got “lost”), and seems to be more or less fine, just maybe dazed and less active than usual.

I don’t know what I should expect here. Has anyone ever done this? I really expected to have to put him out of his misery when the throes stopped and he was still alive. Anything I should watch for? I cannot separate him and it doesn’t seem like that’s in order anyway. They are still all together and not integrated with older birds so no danger there.

I have a rescued newborn sparrow that is now 3 months old in a cage with a top on it. He recently tried to get out when I was changing his water and feeding him and the top dropped on his neck. He squacked to high heaven and I had my hands full so it actually sat on him for a few seconds. I thought he was a gonner for sure. He is absolutely fine and has not tried that trick since. lol I am glad that you chicken seems fine. They must be more resilient then we think at times.

I have a rescued newborn sparrow that is now 3 months old in a cage with a top on it. He recently tried to get out when I was changing his water and feeding him and the top dropped on his neck. He squacked to high heaven and I had my hands full so it actually sat on him for a few seconds. I thought he was a gonner for sure. He is absolutely fine and has not tried that trick since. lol I am glad that you chicken seems fine. They must be more resilient then we think at times.
That is great! This guy was doing fine like everyone suggested but unfortunately we had a hawk attack while we were out a couple weeks later. 😫 Found him headless when we got home that day.

I should add that I did the same thing while changing out the waterer with the next batch of babies maybe a week and a half ago - little girlie tried to go after some fresh grass and I didn’t see her there. Thankfully I moved quicker this time in picking it back up. She hunkered down in a corner after having some twitches/spasms but was fine by the end of the day.

Really should have made an opening in the darn tractor when I was building it so I don’t have to lift it for access! Anyone who stumbles upon this thread should take note.

That is great! This guy was doing fine like everyone suggested but unfortunately we had a hawk attack while we were out a couple weeks later. 😫 Found him headless when we got home that day.
So sorry to hear this. If I didn't have netting over my complete enclosure for my ducks I would lose all of them. Hawks are really bad where I am too. Hopefully the rest of yours will be safe.

So sorry to hear this. If I didn't have netting over my complete enclosure for my ducks I would lose all of them. Hawks are really bad where I am too. Hopefully the rest of yours will be safe.
Thank you. A few weeks later, we lost two more within a few days of each other and I happened to catch the hawks in action those times. I scrambled to use some skinny pines we had already cut into 10ft sections as posts and zip tied some bird netting I had already purchased to the perimeter of their run, with the logs as posts to hold up the netting in the middle. Thankfully it’s been quiet since. Hope it stays that way. I was surprised bc I knew we had the smaller hawks but these were the bigger ones and the whole ripping off their heads and not eating them is not too pleasant to deal with. I am assuming this is what happened to the first one we found headless, but I can never be 100% positive.

Thank you. A few weeks later, we lost two more within a few days of each other and I happened to catch the hawks in action those times. I scrambled to use some skinny pines we had already cut into 10ft sections as posts and zip tied some bird netting I had already purchased to the perimeter of their run, with the logs as posts to hold up the netting in the middle. Thankfully it’s been quiet since. Hope it stays that way. I was surprised bc I knew we had the smaller hawks but these were the bigger ones and the whole ripping off their heads and not eating them is not too pleasant to deal with. I am assuming this is what happened to the first one we found headless, but I can never be 100% positive.
You are most welcome and I am sorry for your latest loss. My Son lost all of his Ducks and Chickens a few years back the same way, heads chewed off and bodies left. It was coons that got them. They are famous for that type of behavior. Do you have any of them around where you are? I pray that the netting protects the rest of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom