Chicken tractor/breeding pen/feed

mgharris30

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
East Texas
We just started 4 hens in a tractor. We think we will move it every third day. In a couple of weeks, we will add a roo for a few days just to make sure he covers all the girls. Then he will go back to the flock. We might also swap out hens every few weeks. We raise dual purpose birds and the desire is to be truly dual purpose.

How much should I feed them each day? I want them to “cut” my grass so I don’t want them to fill up on feed. Is that a thing?
But I want them to gain enough wait/lay enough to serve their purpose.
BA66CC83-9823-43E3-8CD2-88303E4553F5.jpeg

I love your chicken tractor build by the way ! Somebody did an good job designing and making it both! To answer your question no chickens can't fill up on grass as it can't meet their nutritional needs. Furthermore if chemicals have been used on the grass it can make them very sick or even kill them.Chickens need about 1/4 lb feed per day if I'm not mistaken depending on the size and breed plus all the grass they can eat.

I love your chicken tractor build by the way ! Somebody did an good job designing and making it both! To answer your question no chickens can't fill up on grass as it can't meet their nutritional needs. Furthermore if chemicals have been used on the grass it can make them very sick or even kill them.Chickens need about 1/4 lb feed per day if I'm not mistaken depending on the size and breed plus all the grass they can eat.
Thanks! We bought the tractor from an individual and added hog wire skirting. People keep dropping off dogs on my road 🙄🙄

Your chickens will eat a lot less feed depending on how many bugs they eat and how tasty the grass is. We live underneath a canopy of trees and don't have much grass on our lot.It grows in patches.We also have a drainage problem in one spot and have a natural spring so it stays wet .I wish a chicken tractor was practical but they're not here. Grass is scarce here.

Back
Top Bottom