Chicken tractor gardening

Bokbok

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
Does anyone have any experience using chicken tractors to rotate around on top of garden beds? Ultimately I want to know this: If I leave, say, three chickens on a 10 sq. ft. piece of ground, they reduce the weeds to nil, then every day I throw alfalfa, straw, and soil in there till two weeks goes by... How long do I have to wait till I can plant something in that patch of ground? I hear that the straw absorbs some of the "heat". In one book they say I can go right ahead and plant, but what do ya'll think?

I'm already a week into this experiment, by the way. And I have the seeds I want to plant.

Quote:
What book are you using?
Most would not suggest immediate planting. Id wait a few months. About the time you get the second bed prepped and the tractor moved on to the third - time to plant the first.
I use a tractor but havent developed in into the garden bed method yet.
In fact I have frogetten most of what Ive read on the subject! Im saving this one to follow....

PS I have the 7 year plan by Delbert Hartmann specifically for his tractor design. I can post the hi-lites if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom