Chicken tractor I'm building

Putting the "house" up in the air will give you more square footage to your "yard" without increasing the size of the footprint of your tractor.

Saying that, I'm having a horrible time deciding on the design of my own tractor....

Thanks. I actually read an article in Poultry magazine that made the suggestion of using pvc piping. It's a great thing!

Ok so here is my tractor almost done.

P5050001.jpg

The Door is 8" x 8" is that a good size?

P5050003.jpg

The Roost is 34" long, 8" from the back wall and 8" from the ground. Is that sound good?

Quote:
Hi, I really like your tractor. Going ONLY by what I've read on BYC for one week (so take what I say with a BOX of salt), if it were I, I'd raise the roost to 24 inches and at least 12 inches from the back wall. Then I'd put a thin, light-weight 34" x 14" removable board under it at 18 inches covered with wire at 22 inches. The board would be used to catch the poo, making everything easier to clean. Doing that, the chickens could still use the floor space under the roost's poo board; you could even put the nest and/or food/water under the roost if you wanted.

I'd also use the "deep litter method". https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=70

Last edited:
Roost - width from wall is fine if you are getting bantams
if you are getting large fowl it needs to be 12" from wall

I think height is O.K. but, maybe you want a bigger access door for easy clean out!

I love the shape it it looks Great painted!!!

yippiechickie.gif
keep pictures coming

Sugestion if not too late. Looks like maybe to heay to completely move to new location so.... mount the coup end on someting that would be easy to pivet around. Then every couple of days just slide the run clockwise to new grass. Also I heard that a coupe should have a lite bulb.

Back
Top Bottom