Chicken Tractor - Keep predators from digging under?

volleypc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
I love the idea of a chicken tractor, but we have coyotes and foxes around the area. If I do not install wire under the tractor won't predators be able to dig their way under the tractor? If you install wire on the floor how do you move the tractor without harming the chickens? The only thing I can figure is to not attach the floor to the bottom of the tractor and to build an additional one the same size. Then I can just lay the floor on the area I will drag the tractor to and place it on top of it? Any suggestions?

I love the idea of a chicken tractor, but we have coyotes and foxes around the area. If I do not install wire under the tractor won't predators be able to dig their way under the tractor? If you install wire on the floor how do you move the tractor without harming the chickens? The only thing I can figure is to not attach the floor to the bottom of the tractor and to build an additional one the same size. Then I can just lay the floor on the area I will drag the tractor to and place it on top of it? Any suggestions?

If space is not an issue, use a hinged apron, the tractor will be easier to move An apron will add 24" to 36" to the overall length & width of the unit. Keep the chickens in the coop while moving or move while they're out of tractor so you don't have to worry about injury. We got chickens to aid in gardening, the garden beds have been there for a long time & I'm not changing them for the chickens so space is an issue. I have a wire bottom on mine but they also have a large run & tractor location is semi permanent, it only gets moved every 3 or 4 months. I had considered a removable bottom but they are seldom restricted to the tractor.

We made 2 chicken tractors with fence wire floors. They are 2 story though, so I try to get the birds to the upstairs and locked in before I move it. The fence wire floor has openings big enough to allow the birds to eat and scratch through it.
They have been in them almost 2 yrs now.

Back
Top Bottom