Chicken Tractor Question

Rose66

Songster
9 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
I'm thinking of building a chicken tractor so my chickens can spot graze around our yard. How do you get chickens to go from their permanent coop/run into the chicken tractor? Do you have to carry each one by hand or do you butt the tractor up to the permanent fence and shoo them into it or what? Thanks!

If it is just a few, you could carry them, but, I'd probably build some sort of tunnel to funnel them through to the tractor.

right now we are carrying 6 chickens daily.... not fun anymore.... especially when the chickens aren't happy you are carrying them.. not to mention getting chicken poop on you from where they have stepped in it....
tongue.png
Sorry for not painting a prettier picture. But it is what it is.

our permanent quarters are not positioned to where we can get our tractor to it to corral them.... too many trees makes it too tight. I have tried to corral them but that was scary with my cat watching not to mention they naturally want to forage freely NOT be locked back up again..lol...but hey chasing chickens makes for GOOD exercise..

honestly unless you have just a couple or you have chickens that love to be carried I would design it to be pulled right up to the door so they can go right in and THEN move it where you want it.

I herd my flock, using a long handled poop scoop in one hand and the long handled poop pan in the other. Once it became a routine, they head straight for the tractor and go right in (well, all except for "Wrong Way" Scooter...").

What was tricky was last summer all nine slept in the same coop, but in the daytime I herded the 5 younger chickens into one pen and the 3 older hens into another. It wasn't always easy to get all the right chickens into the right pen.

Back
Top Bottom