chicken tractor question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Leah S, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hi. looking to start building the girls a new home. we are going to give them a chicken tractor, so we can move them about the yard. We live in the north east and get cold winters and hot summers. I am seeing that some of these tractors only have a tarp on them, not siding. Is this something we can consider? or no? they are in a non-insulated coop now, how much colder can it be? is there a siding that you guys know about that can provide shelter for them, and is light weight?
    Leah S

2. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Double posted somehow...

Just wanted add that once sis got a barn the chickens stayed in the barn and down on the ground in the deep hay at night...they did not seem to feel a need to roost on a bar at all.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Sorry no one answered you...

You can make the tractor design work, my sis used one in upstate ny, but are you prepared for dealing with snow? Water supply will also freeze unless you get a heated waterer.

The tarp will help keep snow out of the run area and they sell one that is reflective on one side (summer) and dark on the other (winter). I saw a guy use insulation boards for a worm set up, but they need to be attached on the outside to prevent chicken damage. my sis used a lot of straw in their roosting area: they did not actually have a roost bar, they just went up into their little house. That seemed to satisfy their desire for going up at night.

You might try to find a thread for your state, or one that gets the same kind of weather. My secondhand knowledge is not as useful as firsthand experience! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by