Chicken Tractor Thread!!

This is our chicken tractor. Its dimensions are 15'L x 4' W x30" H
The coop is 4x7. It is a bit of a chore to move. Wanting to do a wheel upgrade soon. I wanted one big enough for a dozen birds..

Last edited:

I have five of these. Perfect for up to four birds. I would love to just let them free range but 10 feet past that tree line are 3,867 things that like to kill chickens.

I have five of these. Perfect for up to four birds. I would love to just let them free range but 10 feet past that tree line are 3,867 things that like to kill chickens.
Nice! I love how those look and how simple they are. Can you possibly post more pictures of these up close? Thanks! -CB78

We used welded wire over chicken wire, because you know, predators.

The entire back panel is a door, hinged at the bottom to allow access to bottom and top nest area. Note there is plywood under the metal roofing.

Framing the fleet!

Last edited:

Tie a string to the bottom of your ramp and run it through a hole at the top of the front of the tractor. Attach a metal washer and when it's tractor movin' time pull on the string and hang it on a screw mounted about 12" away. That way the ramp is out of the way when you drag the tractor.

We got chickens for the first time near the end of last summer after reading about chickens, coops, tractors for over a year. I told my husband that I wanted a portable chicken tractor for our meat birds because they poop a lot and I didn't want them staying in one spot. I also wanted them out in the fresh air and sunshine and getting bugs in the grass along with their feed. There is a crank in the front to lower the wheel raising the front. Pulling the levers up in the back pushes the wheels in the upright position. This lets me move it around the yard. The high part of the tractor has a wooden dowel from which we hung the nipple waterer on. (The rod is lower in this pic because it was currently housing the bantam and four chicks that we gave her to raise....she was broody, but the eggs didn't hatch so we got four babies from the farm store and put under her one night). This is their roosting bar. The door on hinges on the top is for us to lift to take them in and out and to place food inside for them. He has since built a large portable coop with a run and another large portable coop for the chickens. :) The "babies" are five weeks old and mamma has re-joined the other chickens in the coop. I try to feed the little ones separately since they have the chick to hen food. I refill that dish several times a day and try to do it when the other chickens aren't looking because they like to eat it lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom