Chicken Tractor Work in Progress (Pics Included)

cary00silve

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 30, 2009
My family and I will be getting 4-5 pullets in the Spring. Since we live inside city limits in a subdivision I decided to build a chicken tractor with coop and run combined into one single portable unit. I also enjoy building things on a budget, so I recycled material whenever possible. A local machine company imports parts from Japan in large wooden crates. Since they don't send these crates back to Japan they sell them for $2 each. The crates are 46"L x 30"W x 24"H. I purchased two of these crates, then removed the tops and glued them together to form the hen house. This gives a floor space of approximately 10 square feet. I hinged the upper half of the back wall for access to clean the house and gather eggs. I used the top ply pieces to build a nest box, and will use the other top ply piece to form a door on the end of the run. Including everything from paint to hinges to chickenwire, I have $55 invested in the tractor. The pictures below represent the current status of the coop. I still have to paint the run framing, install chicken wire into the run, install the run door, and install a galvanized steel roof on hen house. I am new to chickens, so if you see any design flaws PLEASE let me know. My biggest concern is that I may have placed the roost too high. I have it 24" off of the floor, so once I have the bedding in it will be about 20" off the floor. Thanks, and I look forward to meeting everyone!

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

Hi OMG!Same thing here except we are building a coop!:hugsWow total coincidence!howmany you getting?We are getting 10-12 and our chicken coop is 8 x 8 their run is 9 x 12!how big is yours?We are like totally the same!
hugs.gif
fl.gif
duc.gif
should I stop putting icons now?nah!
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom