Chicken Tragedy

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Englewood, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Englewood

Englewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    My seven beautiful pullets were brutally killed last night by some nasty creature. I can't tell what it was because there were no tracks or hair. All of the chickens were dead this morning and either had their heads ripped off or their chests ripped open. I would like to know what you think it was. I have had the chickens since they were chicks (about 15 weeks) and have never had any problems before. I forgot to latch the lid of the coop last night and I think that is how IT got in. The coop is a 3 ft tall plywood box with a 4x4 sheet of plywood that hinges for the lid. I don't know what would be strong enough to open that. Please help me out!

2. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    1 word.Racoon

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:It is so very sad that one lapse can have such devastating effects but it seems the way of this world. I am always double and triple checking that I've done what needs to be done for utter fear of thinking I did when I didn't....

So sad to read of this awful loss......[​IMG]
    JJ

(as to who did it, specifics of your location as well as about the birds as you found them would help people help you sort that out)

4. Englewood

Englewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    I am in mid-Missouri right next to Mark Twain National Forest. So, lots of forest and pasture land, lots of farm lakes and streams. All the girls were in their coop, but the run also had a lot of feathers in it. Lots of blood smeared on the feeder, water fount, and inside walls of the coop.

5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm so sorry, what a horrible thing for you to have to find. [​IMG]

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    The racoon I had could easily manage that size lid. He used to lift much heavier and longer plywood lids. I'm so sorry about your chickens. [​IMG]

7. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What a sad and horrible thing to find. I am very sorry. I would agree with the post that said raccoon. It is consistent with how they kill, and a good sized one would easily be capable of lifting a lid that size.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    So sorry for your loss. I agree raccoon.[​IMG]

9. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Ach! I'm so sorry, I just had the SAME thing happen to me on Sunday. [​IMG] All mine are gone too. people are telling me it was a raccoon, but, I don't think a raccoon could have gotten in where this thing did. I think I am dealing with a weasel or a mink. If you have no gaps between your roof and wall, then you are probably dealing with a raccoon. You'd be surprised what they can lift when they get their whole body into it.

-edit- I just wanted to add, mine were the same age as yours too! Poor young little things!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:So sad, so sorry.

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by