Chicken tricks. Got any?

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
This year is a year for firsts. First full year living in a house I built. First year trying to garden. First year raising anything other than cats or dogs.

We always teach out animals tricks. Cats and dogs, in addition to obediance. Nothing fancy, just amusement for us. So I was out tending the garden a few weeks ago and was snacking on some sugar peas. Nummy! A few peas fell on the ground and this Barred Rock ran over and picked them up. I held a pea up about 18", and she jumped up and nabbed it. I held another pea up a foot higher, she nabbed it. This continued until I had the peas at about 4 feet high, and she would fly up and take them from between two fingers. We've been practicing for a few weeks, and I finally showed my wife.

She was speechless, as was her friend and her two kids. I'll try to get some video tomorrow.

Anybody else teach their birds tricks?

I use little squares of cheese to get mine to perform. They will do anything for cheese (delicious New Zealand cheese of course!
big_smile.png
lol.png
)

Chickens are quite easy to train, and can learn many different tricks. My daughter has trained several of ours to fly to her arm when she holds it out, and last year she began training our roo to peck at a card out of a deck of cards (we had to rehome him because of a neighbor's complaint, boo hoo).

Our hens all went broody this spring and raised clutches, so she's waiting until fall comes to start trick training. A couple of the teenage chickens in this year's batch look like promising prospects.

Back
Top Bottom