Chicken trouble

lolochickenlady

Hatching
Jul 29, 2016
Bowling Green, KY
We are new to the chicken family and I am still learning. We bought 6 chicks in April. My goal,of course, is to have egg layers. As it turns out, at least 2 of my "hens" turned out to be roosters. So I am down to 4 hens. Should I get rid of one of my roosters and get more henso or just get more hens? Thanks in advance for your help.

I would think that it all depends on how many you are talking about when you say "more hens". Roughly (very roughly) ten or so hens per rooster is common. Too few hens and they can become over-mated where they start losing feathers from their backs and necks. But, it all depends on the personality of the rooster(s), too. Sometimes two roosters can get along, one being dominate. But, many times more than one can be problems in a small flock. I would definitely keep them until you can see which will be the better rooster for the hens....which one is protective of the hens, which one shows them treats, which one is the most gentle with the hens, which one respects you and isn't aggressive towards you, etc.,...

But, whichever way you go with the roosters....still get more hens.
wink.png

Best wishes,
Ed

If you don't need fertilized eggs for hatching or sale, hens are quite happy without a rooster. They will continue to lay just as many eggs without one and have less stress in their lives.

The two roosters seem to get along so far. We have an acre and a half and we tried free range at first but they kept getting in our neighbors yard. That was not working for me. We built a 16 x 8 foot enclosure with the coop inside. I know I will have to expand and get a bigger enclosure and coop when I get more hens. Just not sure we are ready for 20 chickens.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom