Chicken Tunnel

Zuesdude

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
OH
Hay gang

Question:

Has anyone had a Chicken Tunnel. You know that crazy thing that newbie's do when they build their coop & run. OK it's that crazy thing that I did.

Ok.... My problem is not that they can go back inside the coop it's that they will not go back in them self at night or go back in to eat. I've put bread in the tunnel and then in the coop so I can get them in with bread but they will not stay to eat.

I stopped placing food in the run two days ago on Friday 19th, 09 to try feeding them inside but now I feel like a BAD dady because they will not go in to eat.
he.gif

I have a rope light inside the tunel.

I did not feed them for 18 hours, three meals and all they would do is cry(or I think thats what that noise was)

I can get them in the coop with bread but after they eat the bread back out they go.

Do you have a pop door? If not, sounds like you need to put something to act as a door to shut them in for a day or so - once they get that it is their home and they have a roost in there to sleep, and food to eat and water to drink, they will get the hang of it - right now it sounds like they are just attracted to the light of being outdoors. At least this is what I would try......hope it helps!
fl.gif

I think I know now why my birds stay outside all night long. It's because of the exterior roost that they can sleep on.
30553_ramclean_060.jpg

Isn't a chicken tunnel just for nesting?

My understanding is that the chicken tunnel is designed to be dark so that chickens won't eat the eggs. If it stops them from eating the eggs, then why would they eat the feed you give them?

Last edited:
Quote:
My tunnel is one that they pass through from the run to the coop, it's about four feet long and a foot high inside, so they have too duck.
hide.gif

Quote:
I laughed when I saw the picture. I'll bet they don't want to go in, they probably don't want to go in because the outside roosting spot is so awesome.
smile.png

I agree, I wouldn't want to be inside when I could roost (very comfortably might I add) out in the great outdoors. Perhaps you should ~gasp~ remove the roost for a day or two, or just lock them in the coop (pick a very rainy weekend so you don't feel guilty). Maybe then they will get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom