Chicken tunnels?

Anujin

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2016
Howdy friends,

We're looking to connect our girls' main coop/run to their "summer place" (a separate structure located in a shadier part of the yard. Hoping to build a hardware cloth "chicken tunnel" that would run along our existing fencing and act as a protected thoroughfare.

Has anyone here had success building their own "chicken tunnels"? If so, what materials did you use for the tunnel frame? Any tips for connecting the tunnel to the coop on each end?

Thanks!
Nora

I picked up a bunch of wooden box spring frames from a local mattress recycler and stapled 2x4 wire fencing to it to make panels. Originally was using that for run fencing but didnt keep anything out or even once they learned the run, the chickens in. I have had success angling two pieces together to make a triangular tunnel and a couple times a very temporary run for them but it is no where near predator proof. Usually I only do that if I will be outside or in close proximity to them.

I will try and get a picture later to show the panels.

You may be needing a longer tunnel than i used, but i found for me using some of the plastic 55gal. drums made a great tunnel. If you do ever use the plastic drums, be sure they never contained any toxic materials. I bolted 2 together "Bottom to Bottom" then used the factory metal lid strap/ring to attach the 3rd. You could keep repeating the process to add as many barrels as you like/need.I drill a few 1/4" holes dead bottom in case water ever gets in for some reason. I then put about a 3-4" layer of sand in the bottom. It gives them a nice flat soft floor to walk on, plus i add DE to the sand, if they use it to take a "dirt bath". it may help with mites. Mine love it now, its funny how the first one runs in and all the others fall in line like a train.. P.S. the barrels do come in many colors, blue, black, green, white, and prolly many more..I also feel you could paint the exterior with a good paint to get any color you like.

upload_2017-5-31_15-54-4.jpeg

Lol. that would make a complete cave system... If only i had been fortunate enough to have some one give me some of that corrugated pipe.. because it would be some pretty expensive pipe to buy..

Ok, here is what I was talking about. I used wood staples to hold it to the frame. Again, not predator proof but more designed to keep the chickens in and at least deter anything that is looking for a quick scoop and run meal.
unnamed.jpg

I make mine with the 2x4 welded wire. Roll out 5 feet or 60 inches and cut so you have the wires sticking out. I count 30 rectangles and cut off at the next one.
Then count in about 7 (14 inches) and make that part flat. It will be the bottom. Bring the rest over and wrap the ends to form a tunnel. I attach them end to end with zip ties or whatever is handy.
I made a couple 2 foot square cages that I use to turn corners.
Works great. I have about 40 feet of tunnel attached to a hoop coop I move around every few days.

Back
Top Bottom