Chicken / Turkey question

beaken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 13, 2009
I have 25 Goldlinks 25 Barred rocks and 2 bronze turkey chicks coming on the 14th ! Can I raise them together in the brooder and coop together ? I,m sure hoping I can .

I have no experience with this, but I've seen some posts where people tried and it worked OK for a week or two. Then the turkeys got so much bigger, they picked on the chicks or were perceived as a threat as they just walked over the smaller chicks so they were separated. I have a feeling someone will say they have successfully done this, but I just can't remember reading that post.

i read you shouldnt keep them together but during the night my chickens and turkeys all roost in the barn. during the day they go their own ways.

I am successfully brooding 30 4 week olds, 26 2 week olds and 3 week old turkeys together. mine do not fight eachother and if there is a chicken scuffle, it upsets my turkeys and they break it up! It can be done...the turkeys are a lot bigger though.

I am 4 weeks into keeping 11 chicks and a bronze turkey together. For a while the turk would take aim and peck at the chicks directly in the eye. No one was ever harmed and the behavior has stopped.

Quote:
I never thought of that!!
hu.gif
I've read that they (turkeys) are hard to get started and fortunately we do have a banty and a 5 day old EE in with three baby turkeys. They are all doing great!

I have for one week now 2 turkey chicks 2 weeks old with 3week old buff orp's and 1 4 week old ameracana and they love each other. No problems at all! But I did hear that the turkeys need medicated feed to prevent them for getting getting sick from the chickens.....

Back
Top Bottom