Chicken / Turkey question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beaken, Apr 5, 2009.

1. beaken

beaken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    I have 25 Goldlinks 25 Barred rocks and 2 bronze turkey chicks coming on the 14th ! Can I raise them together in the brooder and coop together ? I,m sure hoping I can .

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have no experience with this, but I've seen some posts where people tried and it worked OK for a week or two. Then the turkeys got so much bigger, they picked on the chicks or were perceived as a threat as they just walked over the smaller chicks so they were separated. I have a feeling someone will say they have successfully done this, but I just can't remember reading that post.

3. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    i read you shouldnt keep them together but during the night my chickens and turkeys all roost in the barn. during the day they go their own ways.

4. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I am successfully brooding 30 4 week olds, 26 2 week olds and 3 week old turkeys together. mine do not fight eachother and if there is a chicken scuffle, it upsets my turkeys and they break it up! It can be done...the turkeys are a lot bigger though.

5. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

At first it's really good for the turkeys, because the chicks teach them how to drink and eat.

6. missionsix

missionsix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Sunriver , OR (Bend)
    I am 4 weeks into keeping 11 chicks and a bronze turkey together. For a while the turk would take aim and peck at the chicks directly in the eye. No one was ever harmed and the behavior has stopped.

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:I never thought of that!![​IMG] I've read that they (turkeys) are hard to get started and fortunately we do have a banty and a 5 day old EE in with three baby turkeys. They are all doing great!

8. jjrabbit2

jjrabbit2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Kuna Id
    I have for one week now 2 turkey chicks 2 weeks old with 3week old buff orp's and 1 4 week old ameracana and they love each other. No problems at all! But I did hear that the turkeys need medicated feed to prevent them for getting getting sick from the chickens.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by