Chicken Veggie bread

hooligan

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Arkansas
So tonight I got a bit creative and altered a recipe I found online, and made the chickens some bread:

322134615.jpg

Here's my recipe:

2 packages corn bread mix (has less sugar)
4 addl. eggs (shells too!)
2 cup mixed veggies (use what ya got-I just used a mixed frozen bag)
1 cup pellets (I used orchard grass pellets but you can use layer/alfalfa etc)
1 cup seeds (I used a commercial seed mix but you can also use scratch)
1/2 cup flour (any kind will work)

Mix corn bread mix according to directions on package THEN add all other ingredients.
Bake in a 9x12 cake pan on 350 for about 30-35 mins.

This is a VERY heavy bread and can be frozen for later use.

Anyone else got any breads they make for their beasts?

Last edited:
Really neat idea.

Too bad I can't do that one. If DH and the kids caught me cooking for the chickens I'd never hear the end of it, since I can't bring myself to cook for them often enough...
smile.png

Yours looks good. Can I get some buttermilk with that?

Done it too. Ive added everything from CalfManna to leftovers. It's a great way to use up spoiled or old meal and leftovers in general. They scarf it down regardless. Chicks love it, too.
I even have some old recipes for this somewhere.

Nice reminder, Hool.

Hmmm... something tells me that I won't be cooking for my chickens. They can have all the scraps they can eat, however! I'm dying to stop using my garbage disposal & start using the chicken disposal.

tongue2.gif

I can hear the laughter now and the see the eye rolling that is going to be happening in my house!
lol.png
I'm pretty sure my husband already has the state hospital on his speed dial!

My girls are going to love this. Thank you so much for posting it!

We have parrots and they love their moist food, so do the dogs and as we discovered, the Delightful Dozen. We make our moist food using a combination of brown rice, split peas, garbonzo beans, soy beans and anything else that is available. Beans go in first and are boiled and soaked until softer. Then more water is added if needed and it is brought to a boil, DH has the timing worked out, and the other ingredients are added. After 10 - 15 minutes boiling it is turned off and left to soak up the water. We bag it up, freeze some, the rest goes in the refridg. We reheat it for the parrots but dogs and chickens love it even when it is cold. LOL - I must admit to picking out garbonzo and soy beans to munch on....LOL

Birdie bread has been mistaken for humans in the past but the kids figure it out when it has that extra crunch the eggshells give!

Hooligan, you've inspired me!

Yes, I cook for the chickens but use the microwave and for veggies that are too coarse for them to enjoy without some processing. They think carrot peels are the greatest things, all I gotta do is nuke 'em for a minute. If I add a piece of fat off the roast . . . I'd be killed if I offered it and then tried to take it away from the birds
D.gif
!

Since microwaving saves over 50% on energy - do you think this modified microwave zucchini bread recipe would work?

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 eggs
* 2 cups chopped veggies
* 1 cup scratch (I'm also thinking beans soaked overnight)
* 2 cups flour
* 1 cup oil
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

PREPARATION:

In a large mixing bowl, blend eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into a 12-cup microwave bundt pan, or use two 6-cup ring pans for the microwave. Microwave (HIGH) 8-10 minutes. Freeze - just as you suggest.

I'll ignore the cream cheese frosting part . . .
smile.png

Steve

I wanted to say I made two batches of the Chicken Veggie bread last night for my girls. The smell was absolutely awful and it took all night to get out of my kitchen, but the girls loved it! I have never seen them eat anything so quickly!!! It was kind of fun making it too since I've never made anything where I could just throw in the whole egg, lol
lol.png
Thanks for the recipe!

Quote:
Glad they liked it!

Yeah, my kitchen got smelly but only after I cut it bc of the orchard grass pellets. When I make bunny treats it smells up the whole house!

Back
Top Bottom