Chicken walking funny.

mar

Songster
6 Years
Jul 20, 2017
Kaysville, Utah
Hello, I have a 3 year old lavender Orpington walking weird. Just noticed it today. She pulls one foot up to her chest then arches her neck and extends her foot and places it down. When I pick her up she sqwauks at me. She is also puffed up so I’m treating her for coccidosis. I’ve just never seen a hen do that before. Any ideas.

Videos uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo if possible, can be helpful. It could be arthritis, pain, or a neurological problem. How do her legs look? Are there any scaly leg mites? Can you examine the foot pads on both feet for cuts or scabs?

Videos uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo if possible, can be helpful. It could be arthritis, pain, or a neurological problem. How do her legs look? Are there any scaly leg mites? Can you examine the foot pads on both feet for cuts or scabs?
It does seem like there might be something with her crop or her head. The way she arches her neck. That is why I picked her up. Her legs look fine but it was kind of dark. I'm going to check her again in the afternoon. I'll try to take some picks If I can.

Is she molting by any chance? If you suspect a neurological problem or wry neck symptoms, I would get human vitamin E 400 IU and give 1 softgel daily into the beak. B complex (Equate brand at Walmart around $9) 1/4 tablet daily with a spoonful of scrambled egg for selenium is usually very good to try for a couple of weeks.

I thought she was done molting, but she did shake her head and a feather came loose. I also have nutridrench. I think I have some Vitamin E gel too. I'll try both of those. Thanks for the suggestions.

Let us know how she does after treating her.
When I got home, I went to check on her. She is acting totally normal. I decided to give her two drops of nutridrench undiluted just for extra protection. It is cold here about 30 degrees or lower at night. So i will keep an eye on her. Thanks for your suggestions. 😊

Back
Top Bottom