Chicken walking in a squat.

M Brennen

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Northern Vermont
One of my chickens is walking around in a squatting position. She had been doing this for a few weeks. I separated her a week ago and she lain an egg, so I put her back with the others. A few days later, she was doing it again. Any thoughts?

One of my chickens is walking around in a squatting position. She had been doing this for a few weeks. I separated her a week ago and she lain an egg, so I put her back with the others. A few days later, she was doing it again. Any thoughts?
How old is she?
What breed?
What are you feeding?
It sounds like she is struggling to lay her eggs.
In addition to having free choice oyster shell for them to eat I would give her a Calcium citrate with Vit D tablet twice daily to help with the contractions to lay the egg and shell formation. You can get it at Walmart:
1665836949464.png

How old is she?
What breed?
What are you feeding?
It sounds like she is struggling to lay her eggs.
In addition to having free choice oyster shell for them to eat I would give her a Calcium citrate with Vit D tablet twice daily to help with the contractions to lay the egg and shell formation. You can get it at Walmart:

i am feeding egg production grain and I do supplement with oyster shells and grit. Her breed is a golden comet and she is 2 1/2 years old. Many of my birds including this one appear to be molting. Could this issue be associated with that? She is currently separated again. She hasn’t laid another egg yet.

egg production grain
What exactly is in this, especially the protein and calcium percentages?
Post a link to the product?

Her breed is a golden comet and she is 2 1/2 years old. Many of my birds including this one appear to be molting. Could this issue be associated with that? She is currently separated again. She hasn’t laid another egg yet.
Her breed are known to have reproductive disorders after a couple few years.
Molting could definitely be part of the issue.

That makes sense from what you say about the breed.I just had another bird of the same breed lay an egg with no shell. Of all my birds, this breed looks the scraggliest. The roosters tend to love them which adds to their struggles.
Did they molt last fall?
How many males and how may females?
Multiple males can create and environment of competition bringing out the worst in all their behaviors and imbuing maximum stress on the girls.

Back
Top Bottom