Chicken walking like she is in the army...advice needed please

essexchics

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
We have three chickens that we have had for approximately 6 months with no problems and have loved having them. At one point they were all laying and seemed very happy wondering around our garden and their coop.

Recently our Black Comet chicken, Guinevere, has been walking very oddly on her right leg, it kind of swings really high, like she is doing walking drills in the army (the only way I can describe it).

We have checked for leg mites and have considered that she may be egg-bound but she is not crouched down at all and her tail is sometimes up and sometimes down. She is still walking tall, eating and drinking and enjoying dust baths, although she does often hold the foot under her when standing still. I do believe she has stopped laying though. We have picked her up and felt round the area and she doesn't flinch or seem to be in a considerable amount of pain.

She has always been the most lethargic of our three as the other two are quite feisty so I would be hesitant to say she any different temperament.

If anyone has any experience with this or can help with advice at all I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks
Lottie x

Just incase anyone has this problem in the future I took her to the vet today and he thinks it is neurological. She was underweight and the use of her leg was getting worse and worse. The fairest thing was to have her put down as not much we could do. Very sad :( x

Back
Top Bottom