Chicken walks funny and comb is fallen on head

Eggieblu

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2017
Can someone please help!
My adult chicken of 3 years is sick and has these symptoms:

Funny walk, takes a step and then stretches foot behind her.
Picky eater, will eat very little, but does eat, has to be prompt to eat at times.
Dirty and stinky butt, also waste has a strong repugnant odor and looks watery and whitish.
She has loss a lot of weight and hides, looks for dark places to hide in.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms, please help, I have treated with a 5 day treatment of Corid.
What seems funny is that I treated both chickens they began with the same issues, one is fine and the
other has this happening to her. I suspect the other one had the worm issue and is now cured
but this second one has something else wrong as well.
The healthier chicken guards her and keeps watch away from her.
She seems concerns, they are the only 2 chickens left of 6.

Please help soon, I dont have a doctor I can see, and how do I get antibiotics for a chicken?

Eggieblu

Corid doesn't cure worms. It is a treatment for coccidiosis.
You really need to have a fecal sample read. Any vet should be able to do it but some won't.
You could also send a sample to your state poultry lab. That would probably be cheaper. What state are you in?
I wouldn't randomly give antibiotics without knowing it was a bacterial infection that could be cured with antibiotics.

It's been about a month since she has laid.
I live in Florida, think it will take too long for a an analysis of the poop by the state.
She could be gone by then.

Eggieblu

Here is your state lab.

Bronson Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Florida Department of Ag and Consumer Services
2700 N. John Young Parkway
Kissimmee, Florida 34741-1266
Phone: 321-697-1400
IAV-A, CSF, CWD*, ND, FMD, IAV-S*, PRV, SCRAPIE

A vet could read the sample in a few minutes.
What is the alternative? Give corid (for coccidia) when you think it is worms and not use an anthelmintic? Give an antibiotic when you don't know what is wrong?
There is no way to know what is wrong and how to treat without at least some sort of lab work. The fecal sample is the easiest.
The messy bottom and diarrhea spell either worms or an intestinal infection of some type.

I had a few birds with bad diarrhea and messy rear ends that I thought had worms. Rather than worm them, I took a fecal sample to a vet and in a few minutes I learned they didn't have worms but a severe clostridial bacteria infection. The vet gave me the appropriate medication and all was well.
Had I prophylactically wormed them, the problem wouldn't have been resolved and I would have wormed them unnecessarily.

Since she may die, be prepared to send her to the lab in Kissimmee for lab tests so you'll know what was wrong with her and how to proceed.

Back
Top Bottom