Chicken waterer heaters

angora831

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Manhattan, KS
I have bought some new waterers from Tractor Supply Co this year and was told at the time of purchase that they did have a heater that would work with the molded plastic 3.5 gal waterers that I purchased. Now that I want to start thinking about getting a heater, the ones that they carry only are recommended for metal waterers. I had a feeling that what I was told may be too good to be true, but now that I have the waterers I need to see if anyone carries heaters that will work with the molded plastic kind of chicken waterer. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks,

My husband made a base of wood (sides 4 12"boards together) put thin tin on top of itand sides and a lightbulg holder and let the lightbulb touch the tin. Tin keeps water from being on it. It's great..... We use it with our plastic waterers. It is a nice and much less expensive way than the heaters...

So if you're handy, this can also be a solution.

Have a blessed evening.

Last edited:
I believe they are called bird bath heaters, or something like that. It is a metal heating element on the end of a cord, and it drops directly into the water. I have seen them, but have not used them. I was told they are safe for the plastic.

My neighbor swears by aquarium heaters for his buckets. He's been doing it for several years and they are only ~ $5 at Walmart. I'm going to give that a try this winter since the aquarium heater will cost much less to run I think, than an immersion heater. And I believe they have a thermostat. We are still in the 90's here so I haven't investigated the details yet.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I knew that there had to be a way to keep the plastic waterers from freezing up. Where there is a will there is a way and good ole yankee ingenuity.
big_smile.png

I saw one for plastic waterers in the McMurray catalog yesterday. Don't remember the price

I'd like to figure something out without electicity. I don't have power in my coops and frozen waterers are a pain!

I wonder if you could wire up the aquarium heater to a solar panel? That would be truly awesome! Unfortunately my coop is too far from a power supply. Thanks for the great idea!

This 5 gallon bucket - does it have those nipples in it or is it sitting inside another container?

What keeps the water in the nipple from freezing?

Back
Top Bottom