Chicken weak, lost weight, pale comb

Elmo, I agree... I think the mites did her in... and probably gave the coccidia a chance to flourish. All other chickens are healthy and happy. Today Laverne was *almost* b*itchy.... which must mean she is on the mend. She Is occasionally "standing" although her foot isn't open... she was grooming herself this morning and fought me admirably when i gave her vitamins. All chickens are getting their second dusting tonight, although a random sampling showed no mites. I didn't hear from the vet yesterday, so will call today.

I put her on the grass... she ate a few blades, but still can't walk. She feels heavier, but maybe that is wishful thinking. I just can't get over how WEAK she was/is, and how long it is taking her to recover. So strange!

Thanks to all for your advice.

I still think it would be good to start a discussion re: treating the ACTUAL PROBLEM vs. throwing every treatment in the book at it and hoping it works.

I have read gail damerow's books and they make such good sense to me. It would be really nice to have a "diagnostic" algorithm to use for chickens: what to look at first, how to rule out different diseases and then look at what is left. Any takers???

That would sure be helpful. How did you see the lice or mites? I don't see anything on mine, but she still can't walk and her comb is getting pale. I have looked in her feathers and around the vent. Any advice?

DE will not treat an active infestation of mites or lice. It is a good preventative, but that's all. The same with the Poultry Protector. If you read the label carefully it never says it treats or kills the pests. Again, these merely help to prevent them.

Worms, mites and lice need to be treated aggressively, as they can kill your chicken (as can cocci). Here are a couple good threads that may interest you ...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=208346

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2525157#p2525157

Qi,

Again... I didn't "know" at first what the heck was going on. Just knew that pale comb and weakness were signs of anemia and was thinking that it was worms or mites causing it. If you want to rule out mites, check your chickens at night after they are sleeping on their roosts. Red mites live in the cracks/crevices of the coop, only feeding on the chickens at night and then returning to their crack/crevice in the daytime. You won't see them on the bird in the day, and that is why. Use a flashlight and look at the skin surrounding the vent. You will most likely find them there or under the wings, I recommend any book by Gail Damerow as a good resource for raising chickens. Northern Fowl Mites, which is what my girls had, live on the chicken all the time and are quite easy to spot, in the same location. GROSS!!!!

You may want to also bring a stool sample to the vet to check your chicken for parasites. Even if they don't treat chickens, they can still check the sample.
Hope this helps.
It has been 2 weeks since I noticed Laverne was ill, and she is slowly recovering. I'll know she is better when she escapes her "hospital bed". Hah!

Laverne is steadily improving on her diet of hot dogs. SHe flew out of her sick bed today and spent the day roaming the yard. She is stronger a little bit more every day. We are so happy and proud of her!! The other chickens don't remember her and were picking on her... so we will have to wait until she is 100% better to reintroduce he rto the group.

Just to let you all know, Gladys passed away this weekend. It was just not meant to be. Good luck with your chickens improvements!!

Oh... I am so sorry!!!! Poor little sweetie..... I hope the rest of your girls are well....

Back
Top Bottom