Chicken weird behaviour

chooki

Amateur chook psychiatrist
9 Years
May 14, 2014
Sydney, Australia
This pet chicken that was hatched from an egg. I hand feed her and pet her most of the days since hatching.

But a month or two ago, she has started to acting strange. She makes weird sound whenever she sees me, possibly imitate the sound neighbourhood cockatoos make. She also puffs up when I approach her.

Here is a video:

She doesn't seem to be broody, she has no young chicks and is not interested in sitting on eggs for prolonged period of time. She also seems healthy otherwise.

Why is she puffing up or make weird loud sound whenever she sees me?

Thanks for the replies. I am asking because she has been like this for two months on and off. I know the sign of broodiness, but she has been laying eggs regularly, is not interested in sitting on eggs for prolonged period of time, so I am not really sure exactly what's going on with her. Together with the fact that she makes loud, weird sound whenever I open the door (most of the times I don't know where she is in the yard but apparently she could see me).
Also, she is the one hatched in this post:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ile-eggs-for-broody-hen.1428060/post-23621026

I have 3 chooks:
meo.jpg

I feed them regular chicken feed, but mixed with flour to make dough because they wouldn't eat chicken feed by itself, also chicken scratch.
unfortunately, I lost the hen that hatched her to a predator and the other two hens bullies her because they are older (same age as the hen that hatched her).

She just sounds like a grumpy broody! Some of mine just walk around like that, those are the ones that are terrible mums. Or maybe, it is just Australian chickens that do it?!

Back
Top Bottom