Chicken who wont eat vegetables! What do i do???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MelanieCapewell, Apr 9, 2012.

1. MelanieCapewell

MelanieCapewell New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    My Isa-brown 9 months old is refusing to eat her vegie scraps.
    Ive tried cabbage, lettuce, carrot, cucumber, banana, tomato, capsicum, porridge, cracked corn/sunflower seed/barley mix.
    Occasionally i feed her brown & white rice with a can of tuna- she loves it but i cant afford to feed her that all the time. I do have layer pellets i know they are best for laying hens but she isnt eating them now either... the magpies are.
    Maybe I have spoiled her for choice, but with the constant whining ( she cries) i worry shes hungry(she lays for us every day)
    She is a free range chicken with a big backyard with lots of grass and bugs to eat, but i wonder if thats really a balanced diet for her.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I think you have spoiled her too much.

They are just like kids....that would rather eat Ice cream, chips and soda,
    rather than a balanced meal made by mom.

Maybe stop feeding "treats" for a while, your girls will go back to eating their feed.

They are designed to "find" food so they will find it again.

I don't think they are starving.... just spoiled. [​IMG]

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That is crazy. I have never heard of such fussy eaters as that :)
    Are the scraps old? Maybe they don't like the rotten stuff. just kidding - chickens don't care :)
    Very funny though that there are chickens with discerning tastes

4. MelanieCapewell

MelanieCapewell New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    Thank you for those replied messages; i knew she was PLAYIN' me! I just could not believe it!
    Naughty girl. Shes stressed out two perfectly capable cooks(2 chefs in the house)- no one has ever complained about my food before. Yes; she gets no more treats till she eats her greens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by