Chicken who won't walk anymore!

Jillleighbean

Hatching
5 Years
May 25, 2014
My 2.5 month old Australorp was found this morning in her coop, hobbling on one leg, but mostly not getting up at all. At first we suspected injury, but its so hard to tell and now in reading waaay too much on Mareks and all of these horrible things, I don't know what to do! I would isolate her from the rest, but we have a very small backyard operation and really no other place for her to be. Today, she has been in the coop while the others are free-ranging, still drinking and eating from what I put in front of her, not seeming out of the ordinary except for her immobility. I noticed a while back that her pupils do not have defined borders (seem to fit the "amoeba-like" description of a kind of Mareks) but that has been for at least a month that I've noticed that. Her wattle also has never gotten red like my other Australorp, it's still light yellow in colour, but that too has always been. She has one crooked middle toe and again has had that since at least 3-4weeks old. Yesterday she was out running with the others, begging for food, the first in line. Today totally immobile. She was supposed to have been vaccinated, but who knows if that worked. Can anyone give me some insight? I love this little one, but don't want her to suffer.

Unfortunately, from your description, it does sound like Marek's Disease. However, Marek's doesn't usually strike so suddenly, though that can happen-- there really is no "normal" for Marek's Disease. Undefined pupils, coupled with lameness, are common Marek's symptoms.

Its possible that it is an injury, still. Do the legs look normal (no cuts, bruises, etc.)? Does she feels light? Birds with Marek's often don't gain weight or lose it slowly and finely waste away to almost nothing. She may have had some internal problem for a while now, and is only now showing classic paralysis symptoms.

Could you post a photo of her eyes? If her eyes were normal, I might suspect just an injury/sprain/strain. But if they aren't normal, its probably Marek's Disease.

Marek's Vaccine isn't always effective. About 10% of vaccinated birds can still get the disease. Some strains of Marek's are especially virulent and can effect even more vaccinated birds. Some birds are just naturally predisposed to Marek's, while others are more resistant.

If it is Mareks what about the rest of my flock? By what I've read, it has already been spread and is all over my property now! Should I throw in the towel with the chicken raising? Should I cull my sick bird? I can't really quarantine her. I will try tomorrow to post a pic of the eyes, but it may be a bit difficult to get. It's just the pupils that are not really defined circles, they are more like splotches. How long before they die if it is Mareks? Oh this is just not going well! First I find out pretty much most of my flock are roosters and now one of my only hens is not looking good! Thanks for your insight.

Back
Top Bottom