Chicken wire and hardware cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Megs501, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Megs501

Megs501 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Flint Hills KS
    My Coop
    We are in a bind with our chicken coop- the hardware cloth is twice as expensive and we will need 6 rolls of it at $47 a roll.. The chicken wire would be $47 total.

I know everything says no chicken wire, but are there certain areas of the coop that we could use chicken wire? Like the bottom, vents, etc?

Our budget on the coop is running out and he says no to the hardware cloth.. But everyone on here says no to chicken wire. Also, we have a dog that oils keep away most predators, were sure. Bt I don't want to lose my girls

Has anyone used chicken wire successfully?

2. Feather Head

Feather Head Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Newport North Carolina
    Use what you can get and put up 2 layers of chicken wire if it would make you feel better .And close your chicks up at night if you can . You know your area better than we do .[​IMG]

3. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    My tractor is entirely chicken wire and I've had 3 Sebrights living in it with no problems at all for months. So long as you have an enclosed corner that they can easily retreat to, they should be safe from things like raccoons, possums, etc.

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    If your can't afford the hardware cloth, the next best thing would be welded wire, with a layer of chicken wire (for weasels). You can normally get a 100' roll for $50-70 around here.

5. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    maybe do the hardware cloth section at a time as you can afford it & lay it over the chicken wire as you go along. i think ultimately, you are really going to want that harware cloth.

6. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    [​IMG]

the wire that I have on my coop is the same stuff that is sitting out in the photo it is a garden wire from the home depot I haven't had anything get in but a snake I am working on putting a hardware cloth around the side of it so they can't get in either

7. amillecay

amillecay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    That same coop had chicken wire over it and a raccoon tore it open and ate all the chickens

8. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Have you compared prices on hardware cloth? I ordered some from Wayfair for half the price I would have had to pay locally and it arrived in just a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by