Chicken with a broken leg

Feb 5, 2023
I found one of my 12 week old chicks last night with a broken leg. It’s definitely broken, it’s dangling when you pick her up. Can she survive and thrive or should I cull her?

Can you post pictures? It’s possible to splint sone injuries but it really depends what it’s like.

I will post a pic after I go shower and decontaminate from the other coop. I think my older birds have avian glue. I have lost 3 otherwise healthy birds in the last 4 days and have just pulled 2 more out of the coop because they seem to be presenting the same signs as the ones that died yesterday. This is one that is showing signs. 20 minutes ago she was throwing up. She doesn’t have a runny butt. However, she is lethargic and not eating or drinking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    556.3 KB · Views: 47
What exactly do you feed your flock?
Can you take a video of the bird that you think has a broken leg? A video of it trying to walk on its own.

Are any of your birds vaccinated for Marek's disease?

Can you get a clearer photo of the leg and joint?

Hard to tell the colors in the photos, look to see if the leg has green bruising.

What symptoms? You've lost birds over the course of a few days...
Throwing up - that's a digestive issue. What do you feed?
Any chance the birds ate moldy feed, compost, something dead/rotten?
Look for lice/mites as well.
If you lose another, then sending a body to your state vet will give you information about the cause and what, if any treatment or corrections that can be made.
I have lost 3 otherwise healthy birds in the last 4 days and have just pulled 2 more out of the coop because they seem to be presenting the same signs as the ones that died yesterday. This is one that is showing signs. 20 minutes ago she was throwing up. She doesn’t have a runny butt. However, she is lethargic and not eating or drinking.

What exactly do you feed your flock?
Can you take a video of the bird that you think has a broken leg? A video of it trying to walk on its own.

Are any of your birds vaccinated for Marek's disease?
They are all vaccinated. We have now lost 6 birds roughly one a day. It is the bird flue. They are showing signs like the purple comb and the twisted neck. According to the research I’ve done there are two strains, the first strain is the deadliest and you’ll lose your whole flock in 48 hours. The second strain is less lethal, and if they survive two weeks, then their chances of long-term survival are much better. I will take a video and post it of the other chicken, she is in a different coop, so I need to change clothes and shower before I go back to that coop.

They are all vaccinated. We have now lost 6 birds roughly one a day. It is the bird flue. They are showing signs like the purple comb and the twisted neck. According to the research I’ve done there are two strains, the first strain is the deadliest and you’ll lose your whole flock in 48 hours. The second strain is less lethal, and if they survive two weeks, then their chances of long-term survival are much better. I will take a video and post it of the other chicken, she is in a different coop, so I need to change clothes and shower before I go back to that coop.
We feed a local food called Pullen

What symptoms? You've lost birds over the course of a few days...
Throwing up - that's a digestive issue. What do you feed? We feed a local feed, called pullen.
Any chance the birds ate moldy feed, compost, something dead/rotten? No we have looked.
Look for lice/mites as well. They have all been treated for lice and mites, and showed no signs of either. We are treating them for a foot fungus that came in with some birds that I inherited.

Back
Top Bottom