Chicken with broken or lame leg, please help!

cranberrycreekchickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Right now I have a Red Pyle OEG cockeral with a lame or broken leg, he doesn't seem to be able to use it at all but I'm not sure what the problem is or what to do. Before his leg was lame/broken he had small yellow bumps under his scales on the same leg that would eventually swell up a bit and turn black, but they never seemed to bother him. Any ideas

Thanks in advance

Roman.

Can you post a pic?

Could be that he has scaly leg mites. These mites burrow under the leg scales and cause them to peel up around the edges; if the condition gets bad enough, the scales raise more and eventually fall off. It is a painful condition for the chicken, but relatively easy to treat by rubbing vaseline on the legs every couple of days to suffocate the mites.

Please keep us posted, and do post a pic if you can so we can be sure what the situation is. Good luck!

I can't answer your question, but I had a FRIZZLE Bantam do the same thing. Her leg was fine then she started limping on it..then it got to the point that she couldn't use it. She just sat around all the time. I couldn't do any thing for her.. I gave her to a lady that takes care of sick or hurt animals. We don't have a chicken vet in our area. I really hope that your roo gets better.
hugs.gif
I do call and check on my FRIZZLE..she now lives inside with this lady!!

Thanks for all the support!
big_smile.png
I am absoloutely sure that it is not scaly leg mites. The best way I can discribe it is that he can't put pressure on the leg, the small yellow/black bumps sometimes bleed, which has been going on since he started to mature but never appeared to bother him.

Hopefully someone has more ideas!

I will look into the pic but may not have the time to post it for a bit.

Thanks, Roman.

Back
Top Bottom