Chicken with bubbles in eye solved

NewishChickenMama

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2022
My 5 month old buff Orpington is lethargic/tired/cold and has bubbles in her eye. No nasal discharge, no smell from beak.
Have 7 in the flock and no one else has any symptoms.

I noticed she was cold yesterday, it was raining and about 50 degrees F:
feathers puffed up, and head tucked in.
By the evening she had bubbles in one eye. I cleaned it out and added polivisol (no iron) to their water. It has been rainy so they have a nice little pond/puddle of fresh water. At night she had a few bubbles in the inner corner of both eyes.
I put vet RX on her nostrils, under wings and around her neck.
This morning she seemed better until about 3pm when she was sleeping in the middle of the coop and puffed up her feathers again. Bubbles in one eye when I tucked them Into bed.

Back in the fall she was like this after a sudden drop in temperature (which is kindof what we experienced the other night) and after treating her for coryza, adding vitamins, and supplemental heat, she picked back up, however the weather heated up too. But she had no bubbles then, just clear discharge from nostril.

What can cause symptoms when the weather is cold? I feel like whatever it is, she has had since I got her and it flares out when it’s cold. Is this possible? Or something different because the eye didn’t bubble previously? We None of my chickens showed symptoms in the past either.
Photos included. Close up of eye has bubbles, some goopy crust. Just a speck of hay on nose. No scent or discharge.
The vet here doesn’t see chickens unfortunately.
9ED99108-EEAE-489F-95CB-54C9B6537E00.jpeg

68A63B6F-3E0A-4E47-A156-933F24E91C8B.jpeg

2BAFA536-11AB-4071-8ACB-766D2F6FADE8.jpeg

Probably URI (upper respiratory infection) ... It's chronic. You can treat as you have, will get better but sounds like the weather causes it to flare up. Never will go away, it's contagious and surprised the rest of your flock hasn't been affected. You can also use antibiotic Tylan.
Thank you so much! I will start tylan tomorrow. I do find it strange that no other chicken has shown any symptoms. Especially her best friend, they’re always next to eachother/snuggling (the speckled Sussex pictured).

Should I be worried when introducing new flock mates? Or what precautions can I take? My chickens are more so pets with the bonus of eggs. I did want a few more in time, but I don’t want to cull anyone.

Last edited:
It is always a responsible thing to close your flock if any chickens turn up with symptoms of a chronic respiratory disease. The best thing to do if possible is to get testing of a sick bird with symptoms. That is not always possible. A necropsy by the state vet done on a bird that dies is probably the easiest thing thing to do.

Bubbles in the eyes and reoccuring symptoms, I would treat with the Tylan50 like you did back in November.
In the November thread you did not note any foul odor and don't this time either, she also seemed to respond to Corid (for Coccidiosis/very questionable poop) and Tylan50, so it's unlikely what you are dealing with is Infectious Coryza.
I would lean towards this being Mycoplasma instead.

Since she's fluffing up and the weather is miserable, then I'd make sure to provide her some heat or move her somewhere warmer.

Start her back on the Tylan50 at 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row as suggested in the older thread.
I'd consider revisiting Coccidiosis as well, what does her poop look like?
See that she's drinking and eating well.

It's not uncommon for some birds that are weak to continue to become symptomatic when there's a stressor or when weather changes. You may find that this will be a chronic problem for her during her lifetime.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Back
Top Bottom