Chicken with closed eye and a pale patch

lothalvalleyfarm

Chirping
Apr 15, 2023
Olympia, WA
1000008949.jpg
1000008952.jpg

One of my Domiant Coppers suddenly developed this paper area under her eye and it seems maybe swollen a little. She's puffed up (feathers) not feeling good. Her eye other seems fine and is included as a comparison in the second photo. Not sure how to help her, don't have good chicken vet options here. She wasn't interested in treats this morning so she must feel awful.

That pale patch is her lower eyelid. How old is she? Does she have any bubbles, foam, gunk or dirt in her eye when you gently open it with your fingers? Is she having any crackles or noisy breathing or head shaking? If you have some lubricant eye drops or ointment or saline, you could irrigate the eye. Is she having any trouble walking. Does she lay eggs? How does her crop feel? Can you offer some fluids and food to see if she will eat them?

That pale patch is her lower eyelid. How old is she? Does she have any bubbles, foam, gunk or dirt in her eye when you gently open it with your fingers? Is she having any crackles or noisy breathing or head shaking? If you have some lubricant eye drops or ointment or saline, you could irrigate the eye. Is she having any trouble walking. Does she lay eggs? How does her crop feel? Can you offer some fluids and food to see if she will eat them?
About 11 months old, laying as far as I know. She hasn't been shaking her head or anything, I didn't hear anything outside of normal this morning. I can try flushing it/opening it in a but when I have clean hands. Her crop felt full I think this morning but she wasn't interested in a sunflower seed treat I offered. She's in an isolation cage with food and water.

You said that her crop was full yesterday morning. That is abnormal, since the crop if functioning normally, should be empty before she eats or drinks. We usually ask about crop function, and egg laying to get an idea if the chicken is sick. Sick chickens may lie around with an eye closed. With a closed eye, I would flush it with saline or an eye wash from the drug store, and apply some Terramycin or plain triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. The third eyelid covers the eye to keep dust and dirt out of it. If any bubbles or gunk appear let us know.

You said that her crop was full yesterday morning. That is abnormal, since the crop if functioning normally, should be empty before she eats or drinks. We usually ask about crop function, and egg laying to get an idea if the chicken is sick. Sick chickens may lie around with an eye closed. With a closed eye, I would flush it with saline or an eye wash from the drug store, and apply some Terramycin or plain triple antibiotic ointment twice a day. The third eyelid covers the eye to keep dust and dirt out of it. If any bubbles or gunk appear let us know.
We have auto doors on their coops, she'd had maybe 2 hours to eat in the morning before I saw her. Her crop emptied later in the day and still seems empty, she doesn't appear to be eating and isn't letting me syringe feed her a mash of pellets and warm water.

I can't imagine an eye hurting so much to cause a chicken to not eat at all, so maybe something else internally is also going on. I've flushed the eye 3 times as best I can and therr seems to be no improvement. Without a second set of hands available to really hold her so I can really get in there I'm not sure what else I can do.

Back
Top Bottom