Chicken with dead leg? Help!

Missmaddymoo008

Chirping
Nov 27, 2020
Hello. So it’s currently 3/6. Since about Thursday of last week one of my chickens was found hobbling on one foot. This was all of the sudden. I put her in a cage by herself where she can still interacts with her sisters. Her right leg is just fine, gripping and moving easily, unlike her left leg. She has no feeling whatsoever in her left leg as it appears I can move it and do whatever with it and she just doesn’t move it or have a reflex in it. She doesn’t cling to my finger unlike the right foot. It’s just like it’s dead it is warm still, not cold in any way. It is usually curled because she can’t move it so when she shuffles around it just curls up. Like I said she has no feeling in it so she can’t stand on it or move it by herself. She is still as eager to eat and drink like the others. Poop seems fine. Overall she is a healthy chicken like everyone else except for the leg. At first I thought she sprained it or broke it, but she has no pain with it. Then I thought it was a deficiency in something (which it could still be possibly.) so I’ve been giving her some poultry cell in order to possibly get it working. I just don’t know what to do. She wants to run around and move so bad but she and I know she can’t. Should I euthanize her? Is there still hope? Any related stories? Any information is helpful… I can answer any questions if needed.
Thank you thank you.

Sorry for your girl. Maybe a pinched nerve? Maybe rig up a sling so she can still exercise her good leg? My DH made a wheelchair for a hen that broke her leg and it helped her keep her good leg strong.

The leg that is up is the one that’s dead.
2493FE33-98AF-49B8-8F95-94F7E0B62040.jpeg

How old is she? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? Two possibilities come to mind—a nerve injury in the sciatic nerve or the back, or Mareks disease. Have you seen any green bruising or swelling along her entire leg? I would limit her activity to rest the leg, and no jumping or running. It never hurts to try some human B complex vitamins 1/4-1/2 tablet crushed into a spoonful of water or food daily.

How old is she? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? Two possibilities come to mind—a nerve injury in the sciatic nerve or the back, or Mareks disease. Have you seen any green bruising or swelling along her entire leg? I would limit her activity to rest the leg, and no jumping or running. It never hurts to try some human B complex vitamins 1/4-1/2 tablet crushed into a spoonful of water or food daily.
She will be around 5 years old soon. And no, I haven’t noticed any bruising or swelling. It’s just a weird situation in general . We have been giving her a bit of poultry cell. Thanks for the tip! She is also in a small bunny hutch so she can’t really move around as much

I am having the same issue with a chick I hatched myself. She was fine for 4 days and then she can't walk. Has not been exposed to outside . I think she got trampled. I don't know how to help her

Back
Top Bottom