chicken with exposed hernia under vent

newchickiemom48

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2014
I have an older hen who had a large fluid filled swelling under her vent. I had drained the fluid off thinking it was ascites and the size significantly decreased. I followed up by soaking her in an attempt to clean the area with the intent on applying some poultry aid to help the area heal. While in the soak, the scab fell off the area, and intestines bulged out. I pushed everything back in and cleansed the area, packed with betadine and water soaked gauze and covered with dry square gauze and medical tape. She is comfortable, separated, and pooping normally. After reading another post I was considering putting a couple of stitches in the area. Has anyone experienced and/or treated this successfully?

I have an older hen who had a large fluid filled swelling under her vent. I had drained the fluid off thinking it was ascites and the size significantly decreased. I followed up by soaking her in an attempt to clean the area with the intent on applying some poultry aid to help the area heal. While in the soak, the scab fell off the area, and intestines bulged out. I pushed everything back in and cleansed the area, packed with betadine and water soaked gauze and covered with dry square gauze and medical tape. She is comfortable, separated, and pooping normally. After reading another post I was considering putting a couple of stitches in the area. Has anyone experienced and/or treated this successfully?
Can you post some photos?

Sorry I was not able to post any photos. I needed 2 hands to care for this wound. I replaced the entrails and packed the wound with moistened gauze x4 days, cleaning with Betadine around the wound. Following that I gave her a trial of having it open to air. Everything stayed put so I treated it with Betadine and silver sulfadine cream. Yesterday the little knub that was holding everything together fell off and the wound appears to be granulating closed. She laid 2 eggs. She is 6 years old. I am truly amazed with this hen and the body's ability to heal.

Sorry I was not able to post any photos. I needed 2 hands to care for this wound. I replaced the entrails and packed the wound with moistened gauze x4 days, cleaning with Betadine around the wound. Following that I gave her a trial of having it open to air. Everything stayed put so I treated it with Betadine and silver sulfadine cream. Yesterday the little knub that was holding everything together fell off and the wound appears to be granulating closed. She laid 2 eggs. She is 6 years old. I am truly amazed with this hen and the body's ability to heal.

I'm so glad she recovered!

Back
Top Bottom