Chicken with eyes closed.

ABakes09

Songster
Jul 1, 2021
I have 5weeks old chicks. One of my lavender orpingtons has her eyes closed a lot. We have treated for coccidosis (a presistent case) and they are currently on day 6 of CORID in drinking water. This is the second round of treatment for them (first round I didn’t do it strong enough). All bloody poop has cleared and everyone is acting normal, except for this one with her eyes closed a lott. She still eats, drinks, plays, perches, scratches around and is aware, and moves/runs. She just has her eyes closed if she is still/not moving. She even closes them sometimes when she is drinking water. Any ideas if something is wrong or is this just her? She has been this way foe nearly a week and it doesn’t seem to be changing. She does seem to be more active since all bloody poops have cleared. I plan to treat foe 10 days then so the nutridrench for a couple of days. They were also started on medicated feed from a non-medicated feed (as further prevention) about a week ago also.

Attachments

• 80137201-1930-4C15-A18B-CA8F45483D4A.jpeg
    80137201-1930-4C15-A18B-CA8F45483D4A.jpeg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 6
If this chick is behaving normally except for her eyes being shut al lot, perhaps she has an unrelated eye issue. Try flushing the eyes with saline. If it persists, use a opthalmic ointment such as terramycin found at most feed stores. Use twice a day.

Medicated feed at this point won't really accomplish anything as the chicks have already been exposed to coccidia and received amprolium treatment. This means their bodies are already building resistance to these parasites, something medicated feed is intended to do for chicks. It has no curative value as the dosage is so tiny.

Back
Top Bottom