Chicken with head trauma

Messyjessy3

Hatching
Aug 9, 2021
My chickens head got trapped in a rat trap. She won’t open her eyes and is just resting in a box. Is there anything I can do to help her? Any signs of internal bleeding still? Thanks.

Do you have pictures? How long ago did this happen? Is there swelling around her head? was it her head stuck or her neck? How long was she stuck? Were there any open wounds? Please provide any details that you can.

Without any other information, I would treat her as if she is in shock. I would isolate her from the flock and make sure she is in a comfortable warm place. Make sure she has access to clean water and add some electrolytes if you have it.

Do you have pictures? How long ago did this happen? Is there swelling around her head? was it her head stuck or her neck? How long was she stuck? Were there any open wounds? Please provide any details that you can.

Without any other information, I would treat her as if she is in shock. I would isolate her from the flock and make sure she is in a comfortable warm place. Make sure she has access to clean water and add some electrolytes if you have it.
image.jpg
I don’t see any swelling she has moved her neck around just fine. Her eyes seem sealed shut by blood though. This happened about an hour ago. It was trapped on her head, she was only stuck for a few seconds. She has labored rapid breathing. She goes from red to pale around her eyes.

Wow, those traps can snap very hard. I hope that she recovers. A lot depends on if any brain trauma has occurred, and that can cause swelling over a day or two. Keep her quiet in a dim, quiet area. Offer fluids and some wet and dry feed up to her beak when she has rested some. I would only place a trap like that inside a wire crate where the chickens cannot get into. Amazon sells locking rat poison bait stations that can be placed in areas outside the coop where chickens cannot get to. Those have been very good over the years keeping my very old barn clear.

View attachment 2791383I don’t see any swelling she has moved her neck around just fine. Her eyes seem sealed shut by blood though. This happened about an hour ago. It was trapped on her head, she was only stuck for a few seconds. She has labored rapid breathing. She goes from red to pale around her eyes.
There is definitely swelling occurring around her head and eyes. Keep her warm and someplace safe. I would prepare a syringe to orally inject water, because my guess is with her eyes swelled and the shock, she won't find water easily. If by tonight she hasn't drank, syringe some water in her beak. Chickens are very resilient, and if things are going well, she'll probably start showing improvements in behavior within 2-3 days, although it could take much longer for swelling to go down.

I'm so sorry this is happening. Chickens are naturally curious and always seem to find ways into trouble! I hope she recovers well for you.

There is definitely swelling occurring around her head and eyes. Keep her warm and someplace safe. I would prepare a syringe to orally inject water, because my guess is with her eyes swelled and the shock, she won't find water easily. If by tonight she hasn't drank, syringe some water in her beak. Chickens are very resilient, and if things are going well, she'll probably start showing improvements in behavior within 2-3 days, although it could take much longer for swelling to go down.

I'm so sorry this is happening. Chickens are naturally curious and always seem to find ways into trouble! I hope she recovers well for you.
Thank you so much, we have her in our garage and have given her small drinks of water. Hopefully she improves, thanks for the kind thoughts and information!

Back
Top Bottom