Chicken with her dogs

kota1369

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Kansas City, MO
I will ad more to this post as I can. Take a look at my 11 month old german shepherd puppy, 4 or so year old Rotty rescue and a cocker spaniel rescue............. with one of my 4 chickens.
It takes work........... but it is possible.

45854_dgsnchik.jpeg

The GSD is still not allowed off leash as she is still in training. The rotty has been off leash with them 8 times in the last 2 months. I have had the chickens for a year. She has been a work in progress. And I trust her 98% now. I look forward to watching the progress this summer.

The lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits and their kits and a lizard

What is the work involved? I have a 7 month old Bernese/Sheltie/Sheperd mix, and so far he seems to just want to play, but I want to train him to be around the chickens. Any training advice?

Quote:
absolutely, we let our dogs run with the rest of our animals, they're on raw diet (that's blood, meat and bone un-cooked), they hunt and kill other predators..... yet they'll stop mid chase if a duckling were to walk on their path.... all in letting them learn what they can/ cannot touch.

Quote:
absolutely, we let our dogs run with the rest of our animals, they're on raw diet (that's blood, meat and bone un-cooked), they hunt and kill other predators..... yet they'll stop mid chase if a duckling were to walk on their path.... all in letting them learn what they can/ cannot touch.

My 4 dogs eat the same diet as your dogs except mine are not allowed to hunt.
smile.png

My dogs have been taught that the chickens are mine and so are the rabbits. My german shepherd and one of my rabbits have developed some kind of understanding or friendship. It is adorable to watch.

To Seafooo... you want to teach your dog now while it is young that it is not allowed to play with them. I always start my dogs out with basic manners. Teaching them to wait, sit and down. Those to me are 3 of the most useful things to teach your dog. I do not use the command of stay as mine are taught down means down until I tell you differently. As they learn those 3 commands then I "finish" them off.
Meaning, I work on teaching them to sit and down when I tell them to do it anywhere. That way if a chicken gets out on accident and I need to slow a dog down I can tell them down. Makes my life easier. A lot of it is teaching the dog to respect you and your other pets or livestock. Each dog is individual and they require different approaches. So example, both of my cocker spaniels are both soft mouthed and easy going boys. Once they got pecked a few times they didn't even want to help herd them. Now the cockers take care of them for me.

Good luck
the lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits and their kits and a lizard

Cheatah (chicken in pic) is again out with her dogs......... My chickens free range an hour to 4 per day. Depending on the household schedule. The cocker spaniels are 110% safe with the ladies unsupervised. The rotty after a year of work is now 98% safe off leash supervised. The other 2% would be her going after a squirel and not noticing there was a chicken in the path. Or one panicking and going in front of her as she is charging.

45854_madrich610.jpeg

What is funny to me is last year........... the ladies knew she was phycho and watched her. This year she is showing full respect and backing down to their space, which makes them quite curious. This dog wants to make us happy and has been taught what was expected from day one. Now a year later, if a chicken gets within 4 feet of her she will stop what she is doing (drop the toy) and move away from them. When the ladies get around 7 feet from her she will go back to what she was doing. She is very respectful. It can be done.

All my dogs eat a raw diet of many raw meaty bones and chicken is a staple. I teach the dogs to respect and give the chickens space. It makes my life much easier.

45854_1024maya.jpg

Here is my German Shepherd. In this picture she is almost 3 months. As you can see, she is eating a chicken foot. She has NOT been taught to associate the chickens with food. I am the cook, so food is associated with me.
45854_210boyscks.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics

The lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits and their kits and a lizard

Last edited:
My chocolate lab x gsp was afraid of my chickens;she had to learn the chickens weren't going to attack her, but she isn't allowed near the chickens anymore because she developed a taste for chicken poop.

Today is the first day I've left my 4 wk old chicks out of the tractor in the afternoon while I'm at work. Here's a picture of who's guarding them:
55921_patsy_and_baby.jpg

That's Patsy, my rough coat collie

Quote:
I think that is normal. All my dogs eat it every chance they get. It is part of free ranging and allowing your dogs and birds in the same area.

The lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits and their kits and a lizard

Love the picture Noodleroo

Back
Top Bottom