Chicken with high fever

RebusCom

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
Pasco, WA
This morning I found one hen outside her roost laying on the ground. She is alive but is extremely lethargic. Most of the time her eyes are closed and she has her head flopped over to one side. Her temperature is 109F. She hasn't pooped all day. She will drink from a syringe and I've given her tetracycline and pedialyte. I've tried cooling her down in cool water but her temperature remains elevated. She does not look pale.

Any suggestions?

An update. She finally pooped. It's a creamy orange color, with a spot of very dark green. I've not seen orange poop before. The pedialyte has FD&C Yellow #6 coloring. I presume that's where the strange color is coming from, so in reality her poop is mostly white.
Her temperature is 108F.

Last edited:
Unfortunately she didn't make it. It was an impaction. She was one of our best layers for years but they were always giant size which is risky to her.

Awww
sad.png
So sad. I have one with the same issues right now. Whatever is going on it looks like a death sentence. I've separated her from the rest and have so far done all I know to do but it looks like it's not good enough. I could only hope it's an impaction and not something like Mareks Disease! That would be horrible!

I have a hen that sounds similar. She is lethatgic and not coming out of the coop. Took her to the vet and she had a temp of 106.5. The vet gave anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic. She did fecal test. Just waiting for results. Her poop was milky yellow and we did not feel egg-impaction. Any ideas without the test results?

I have a hen that sounds similar. She is lethatgic and not coming out of the coop. Took her to the vet and she had a temp of 106.5. The vet gave anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic. She did fecal test. Just waiting for results. Her poop was milky yellow and we did not feel egg-impaction. Any ideas without the test results?
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the poop?
How old is your hen?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

It's very hard to get an accurate body temperature for a chicken, but the "normal" range is 105°-107°F.
Feel your hen's abdomen for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid. Check her crop to make sure it's empty by morning (how does it feel now). Look for any external parasites that may be causing weakness.

Hopefully getting the results from the tests will give you some answers. In the mean time try to keep her hydrated and eating.

Back
Top Bottom