chicken with inflamed vent, swollen with lump, poop, and possibly a...

When I bath one of mine. I'll dry her off as best I can with a towel and then put her on a fresh towel in a cat crate in the bathroom and close it up with a small space heater and dim lighting until she's dry. Just check the temperature in there now and then to make sure it's not warmer than necessary or too cold. I kind of place the crate so the warm air goes right into it. I'd keep her in over night and have the thermostat set on the space heater to keep it from getting too cold. Have some water and nibbles in there for her.

we took her to the vet today and he was able to get the egg out! It was a fluke he thinks and the egg was just really big. he took her home with him and I think we'll just have her on antibiotics and maybe pain medicine for a week. He expects her to make a full recovery.
Thank you so much for the advice!
big_smile.png

Not really sure how this works but here goes ........ I had posed a few days ago that I had found one of my chickens (hatched June 12th ) wheaten color ) had very dirty (pooopy) rear .. so I went on line & read that has to be cleaned flushed or chicken can die ... did so next day did again .. cold her in Fl so kept in & just had another hen die the week before from impacted crop , could not find one vet to necropsy so did so myself to find full of hay ,that bird would have been candidate for the crop surgery since no way to pass or get that much mass up but to new to know when bird was in distress , so to be blunt did stave to death !! That bird did NOT have any problem with a dirty vent!!! SO I figure this bird has same thing as do feel soft mass in crop and not emptying! I get what I need for the surgery as what do I have to lose !! I moved 8 years ago and still keep in touch with my friend/vet Dr Don (avian vet ) 2 1/2 hours south !! So I call Don leave voice mail as to what I am going to do !! Man calls me back tells me Amy do not do that bring the critter to me (today ) and I will do the surgery !!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS MAN ROCKS!! Took Ester today Don did not really think was impacted but did a beautiful surgery used gas and all but call me in after to show me contents was all normal contents probably just under half a cup of normal stuff a chicken would eat her crumbles ( do not feed pellets yet) scratch normal stuff (remember I did the other hen and that was a mass of hay ) not the same here, Don told me to hold hen straight up in towel and told me to wait . He came back with 2 huge syringes probably 50 cent round & 10 inches long full of clear fluid He said after the surgery he felt abdomen was very full & mushy (my words not his) so he drew off that much water , told my to hold bird and drew off 3 more full. Now did check her last night & she es starting to rattle so I knew that is no good . So I said she is going to die and he said yes .. So I said then lets put her down he agreed !! BUT He kept drawing the fluid , I said Don why are you still doing that if we are going to pts(put to sleep) Ester he said I want to make her feel better before I do it !!!!!!!!!!!!! This my friends IS a VET !! We put her down & did open her up. She was so full of fluid (we had her on a thick double bath towel and fluid ran on floor!!!!! Now he did not like what he saw & said thought it was merks?? he wanted to see liver and got kit to send to UCLA @ Davis liver was beautiful & normal (these are americana for Mcmurry that I did pay to get vaccinated) and told Don so . Puzzle continues!! There was also a very large cyst on the reproductive organ , thatnk God liver was normal and beautiful and took some of pancreas too!! All off the Ca !! My other 12hens are active ,eating In good flesh & feather (knock wood ) I said Don how much do I owe you he said write teh check for 95 to cover all !!!!!!!!! :lol:Back home now to wait and hear a chick and see egg cracked waiting for black copper marans !! I begin again .. Ester is gone & feel great did all I could !! She will be my teach & hopeful all rest will be fine !! Sorry to be long but that is that .. not sure if this gets posted as I am new & no one answered before!!

Not really sure how this works but here goes ........ I had posed a few days ago that I had found one of my chickens (hatched June 12th ) wheaten color ) had very dirty (pooopy) rear .. so I went on line & read that has to be cleaned flushed or chicken can die ... did so next day did again .. cold her in Fl so kept in & just had another hen die the week before from impacted crop , could not find one vet to necropsy so did so myself to find full of hay ,that bird would have been candidate for the crop surgery since no way to pass or get that much mass up but to new to know when bird was in distress , so to be blunt did stave to death !! That bird did NOT have any problem with a dirty vent!!! SO I figure this bird has same thing as do feel soft mass in crop and not emptying! I get what I need for the surgery as what do I have to lose !! I moved 8 years ago and still keep in touch with my friend/vet Dr Don (avian vet ) 2 1/2 hours south !! So I call Don leave voice mail as to what I am going to do !! Man calls me back tells me Amy do not do that bring the critter to me (today ) and I will do the surgery !!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS MAN ROCKS!! Took Ester today Don did not really think was impacted but did a beautiful surgery used gas and all but call me in after to show me contents was all normal contents probably just under half a cup of normal stuff a chicken would eat her crumbles ( do not feed pellets yet) scratch normal stuff (remember I did the other hen and that was a mass of hay ) not the same here, Don told me to hold hen straight up in towel and told me to wait . He came back with 2 huge syringes probably 50 cent round & 10 inches long full of clear fluid He said after the surgery he felt abdomen was very full & mushy (my words not his) so he drew off that much water , told my to hold bird and drew off 3 more full. Now did check her last night & she es starting to rattle so I knew that is no good . So I said she is going to die and he said yes .. So I said then lets put her down he agreed !! BUT He kept drawing the fluid , I said Don why are you still doing that if we are going to pts(put to sleep) Ester he said I want to make her feel better before I do it !!!!!!!!!!!!! This my friends IS a VET !! We put her down & did open her up. She was so full of fluid (we had her on a thick double bath towel and fluid ran on floor!!!!! Now he did not like what he saw & said thought it was merks?? he wanted to see liver and got kit to send to UCLA @ Davis liver was beautiful & normal (these are americana for Mcmurry that I did pay to get vaccinated) and told Don so . Puzzle continues!! There was also a very large cyst on the reproductive organ , thatnk God liver was normal and beautiful and took some of pancreas too!! All off the Ca !! My other 12hens are active ,eating In good flesh & feather (knock wood ) I said Don how much do I owe you he said write teh check for 95 to cover all !!!!!!!!! :lol:Back home now to wait and hear a chick and see egg cracked waiting for black copper marans !! I begin again .. Ester is gone & feel great did all I could !! She will be my teach & hopeful all rest will be fine !! Sorry to be long but that is that .. not sure if this gets posted as I am new & no one answered before!!

Hi missamy352, so sorry for all you have been through, and also sorry noone answered your first post. Wow you do have an awesome vet, not many would do what he did. I hope you don't find some disease has killed your hen, hope all test come back normal, but that you do find an answer for all that fluid. Good to hear the rest of your flock is fine . Please let us know what you find out from lab. and again sorry for your loss
sad.png
and let me say
welcome-byc.gif

Hi missamy352, so sorry for all you have been through, and also sorry noone answered your first post. Wow you do have an awesome vet, not many would do what he did. I hope you don't find some disease has killed your hen, hope all test come back normal, but that you do find an answer for all that fluid. Good to hear the rest of your flock is fine . Please let us know what you find out from lab. and again sorry for your loss
sad.png
and let me say
welcome-byc.gif
............................................also very happy to hear your hen is doing well carolineR and that she will make a full recovery.... love to hear those good reports
yippiechickie.gif
Sorry for double post my computer is acting up!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom