Chicken with insides on her outside

allisonw5

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 7, 2008
I came home today to find one of my hens in the nesting box with a large amount of her insides hanging out.. it seems like it happened when she was trying to lay an egg. It also seemed like it had been some time.

I have her inside in a box. She is suffering and not moving much. She makes terrible noises with a pushing motion that she does. I dont know what to do and what happened.. all my hens are very healthy, they have been laying about 2 months now.

Can she live? Any advice?

Thanks, I am pretty frantic..

You need to cull her asap if she has not already died in the night, it is a prolapse .... not a lot you can do methinks.
hugs.gif

there are successful treatments of prolapse but unfortunately, it usually gets them in the end anyway. I am so sorry.

You can search here for the word "Prolapse" and find lots of information on treatment and caring for them.

Good luck in your decision.

There was a recent post on here where someone was successful in fixing her hens prolapse. Had to do with a warm saltwater bath to reduce swelling, lubricant (there is a certain kind to use), gloves and literally putting back inside her. It takes a few times apparently to get it to stick, but I think it can be done. Oh, also I heard you are supposed to keep them in a dark, quiet spot where they won't get the stimulation to lay. It was just a few days back I read about this. You shouldn't have a problem finding it. Good luck to you and your hen.

Back
Top Bottom