1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with insides on her outside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by allisonw5, Apr 24, 2009.

1. allisonw5

allisonw5 New Egg

Nov 7, 2008
    I came home today to find one of my hens in the nesting box with a large amount of her insides hanging out.. it seems like it happened when she was trying to lay an egg. It also seemed like it had been some time.

I have her inside in a box. She is suffering and not moving much. She makes terrible noises with a pushing motion that she does. I dont know what to do and what happened.. all my hens are very healthy, they have been laying about 2 months now.

Can she live? Any advice?

Thanks, I am pretty frantic..

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    You need to cull her asap if she has not already died in the night, it is a prolapse .... not a lot you can do methinks. [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    there are successful treatments of prolapse but unfortunately, it usually gets them in the end anyway. I am so sorry.

You can search here for the word "Prolapse" and find lots of information on treatment and caring for them.

Good luck in your decision.

4. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    There was a recent post on here where someone was successful in fixing her hens prolapse. Had to do with a warm saltwater bath to reduce swelling, lubricant (there is a certain kind to use), gloves and literally putting back inside her. It takes a few times apparently to get it to stick, but I think it can be done. Oh, also I heard you are supposed to keep them in a dark, quiet spot where they won't get the stimulation to lay. It was just a few days back I read about this. You shouldn't have a problem finding it. Good luck to you and your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by