Chicken with itchy and dry skin

Chickenclaw

Songster
Mar 4, 2019
Australia, Vic
Hi,

I’ve been treating one of my hens after discovering a bad lice infection about a month ago. My hen still has dry and flakey skin which irritates her when I try and clean her with water.
I haven’t managed to stop the dry and flakey skin from appearing on her, so I was wondering if she has a skin condition or if there is anything someone would recommend me using to help her?

CBBAFEB8-DE11-4386-8CC3-E27711949203.jpeg

Thanks,

What did you treat her with? Do you see her preen often? Does her preen gland look ok? (Nodule at the base of her tail on her back)
1C6B1169-83B4-479F-AD93-8FAFF9B70E04.jpeg

Here’s a picture of her preen gland and the lice powder. She tends to not preen as much as my other hens.

Attachments

• DA26EB62-A6B4-4866-953F-5D0C29FF8486.jpeg
    DA26EB62-A6B4-4866-953F-5D0C29FF8486.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 5
I would guess it's just from the lice. I'd check her regularly to make sure they are all gone, but otherwise leave her alone. Not sure how or how often you're cleaning her with water, but even water can dry out skin so it might be counterproductive.

I’ve been treating one of my hens after discovering a bad lice infection about a month ago. My hen still has dry and flakey skin which irritates her when I try and clean her with water.
I haven’t managed to stop the dry and flakey skin from appearing on her, so I was wondering if she has a skin condition or if there is anything someone would recommend me using to help her?
Does she have access to a dust bathing area?
What do you feed, including treats?

Are the lice gone or are you still battling them?

If the lice are gone and you feel she needs to be bathed or cleaned, then I'd wash her 1 time using a dandruff shampoo to see if that makes any difference.

Does she have access to a dust bathing area?
What do you feed, including treats?

Are the lice gone or are you still battling them?

If the lice are gone and you feel she needs to be bathed or cleaned, then I'd wash her 1 time using a dandruff shampoo to see if that makes any difference.
I gave her a wash yesterday and she has full daily access to multiple dust bathing areas. I checked over her again and found some lice eggs so I will keep treating her. It’s strange however, that my other hens don’t have the same problem with their skin despite having lice occasionally.

I gave her a wash yesterday and she has full daily access to multiple dust bathing areas. I checked over her again and found some lice eggs so I will keep treating her. It’s strange however, that my other hens don’t have the same problem with their skin despite having lice occasionally.
Does she dust bath and preen as much as the others?

Some don't so they may end up with some skin issues.

Back
Top Bottom