Chicken with laying trouble.

dandrea

Hatching
Jan 13, 2016
Long story short, my 2 and a half year old Rhode Island Red is having trouble laying. She last laid about a month ago, and that egg broke inside her. I was able to clear it out of her and within a day she was back to normal, just didn't lay any eggs again. Today finally she's acting like she has another stuck egg. I'm going to go check her out, but is there anything I can do to help her out so she can lay normally again?

Longer story - in the fall, 9 months ago, I changed foods. I think it was cheaper with less nutrition. A different chicken broke a leg, and it eventually healed. I only had two at the time, and they both stopped laying. I thought they were molting, but when spring came, they didn't start laying again. The chicken with the broken leg healed, but then was attacked by a raccoon and died. We bought two new babies, and my Rhode Island Red wasn't too keen on them. I think because of the bad food and the stress of the babies she just didn't really lay. In March, she had a stuck egg that I was able to help her remove. She laid maybe 5-10 eggs then normally over the course of the next two months. Then in June, she had another stuck egg that broke inside her and she hasn't laid an egg since. She acts normal, has now accepted the chicks that are almost full grown, and they roam the yard together all day. It is hot here, but she has plenty of fresh water and oyster shells and I've since been buying more expensive food that seems to have better nutrition. Is there anything else I can do to help get eggs? I hate for her to keep having stuck eggs. It seems painful and I'm worried one of these times I'll actually loose her in the process.

Back
Top Bottom