Chicken with legs out in front

Caitie121

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
Hi! I posted about my hen but new symptoms have developed.

She's about 6-7mos. She started sneezing and mouth breathing and off balance on one foot. She's no longer sneezing but still mouth breathing and both legs sit out in front of her and she doesn't try and stand.

I've given her vit B, Nutridrench, antibiotics for any respiratory issues she may have. Two of my other hens showed signs of coccidiosis so she is being treated for that as well just in case. The other hens got treated too and are fine today (they're separated).

Any advice? I don't think it's Mareks. She's eating and drinking. Eyes are clear. She doesn't gasp for air. Joints aren't swollen or warm, she doesn't stretch her neck out. She just open mouth breathers and doesn't walk.

These symptoms can be among the most frustrating to try to diagnose. Both the respiratory symptoms and the leg issues can stem from more than one cause. There are some respiratory diseases that can cause lameness, and both of those symptoms can also be caused by exposure to toxic substances such as petroleum distillates, insecticides, and rodenticides.

Trying to recall the history of this chickens activities right before you noticed these symptoms would be very helpful. Look around the yard for leaky machines, and check any rodent bait you may have put in hidden spots that the rodents may have dragged out into the open where this chicken may have come into contact with it.

There is a possibility that the lameness and the respiratory symptoms are unrelated and just coincidental. In this case, as was mentioned in your other thread by a member, waiting to see if the respiratory symptoms will clear up on their own is best since an antibiotic may not be necessary unless they worsen.

The legs can be treated with B-complex. Any B-complex you find on the vitamin aisle will work. Pop a tablet directly into the beak each day. Give it a month to work. If she is still lame after four weeks on the B-complex, then you might conclude it is associated with a virus or a respiratory disease.

These symptoms can be among the most frustrating to try to diagnose. Both the respiratory symptoms and the leg issues can stem from more than one cause. There are some respiratory diseases that can cause lameness, and both of those symptoms can also be caused by exposure to toxic substances such as petroleum distillates, insecticides, and rodenticides.

Trying to recall the history of this chickens activities right before you noticed these symptoms would be very helpful. Look around the yard for leaky machines, and check any rodent bait you may have put in hidden spots that the rodents may have dragged out into the open where this chicken may have come into contact with it.

There is a possibility that the lameness and the respiratory symptoms are unrelated and just coincidental. In this case, as was mentioned in your other thread by a member, waiting to see if the respiratory symptoms will clear up on their own is best since an antibiotic may not be necessary unless they worsen.

The legs can be treated with B-complex. Any B-complex you find on the vitamin aisle will work. Pop a tablet directly into the beak each day. Give it a month to work. If she is still lame after four weeks on the B-complex, then you might conclude it is associated with a virus or a respiratory disease.
They're in a fenced yard so there *shouldn't* be anything leaking or any insecticides or rodent bait. With that said everything seemed fairly normal as far as I know. Her and her chicken buddy she came with (got them at 8 weeks in June) always pal around and stay out of everyone's way so they rarely come up to me. I don't generally pay close attention to them as the ones who follow me. I just happened to notice her sneezing.

I've been giving rooster booster daily as I had some on hand and I didn't have any vitamin tablets. I can grab some tomorrow if tablets would be more effective. She does seem to be eating today just fine, poop is still normal as well. I went out before dark to check on her and make sure she was positioned comfortably and she did kick her legs around but couldn't get them under her so they do at least still work in some capacity.

Thank you for the reply.

The rooster booster is a maintenance vitamin formula. You need a therapeutic dose. I like B-100 complex as it has the biggest wallop. I've used this with good success to treat simple leg weakness which looks a lot like what your hen has if she still exhibits control of the legs.

The sneezing can be harmless as chickens often sneeze in their dusty environment. Even a respiratory illness often resolves on its own. So, there is no real emergency there. Wait and see is a good strategy. But do keep an eye on her for signs of mucous in the mouth or leaking from the nares and signs that she's having trouble breathing. Using the VetRX can help ease these symptoms. It's a good product from what I've read about it.

The rooster booster is a maintenance vitamin formula. You need a therapeutic dose. I like B-100 complex as it has the biggest wallop. I've used this with good success to treat simple leg weakness which looks a lot like what your hen has if she still exhibits control of the legs.

The sneezing can be harmless as chickens often sneeze in their dusty environment. Even a respiratory illness often resolves on its own. So, there is no real emergency there. Wait and see is a good strategy. But do keep an eye on her for signs of mucous in the mouth or leaking from the nares and signs that she's having trouble breathing. Using the VetRX can help ease these symptoms. It's a good product from what I've read about it.
Thank you! I've got VetRx on hand as well. I stocked up what I could at TSC yesterday to try and help her. I'll pick up some vit B tomorrow at the store. As long as she's still eating and drinking and remaining alert I'm happy to keep her in the office. I just don't want her to suffer.

Would vit e and selenium possibly be any good in this case or no? I had some for a hen we thought had wry neck (she didn't, she had ecoli and it caused neurological damage) but I didn't know if that would help legs.

The E can't hurt for a week or so. It might help if the leg problem has a neurological cause or if a deficiency in it is contributing to the lameness.

B and E are different in the respect that B is water soluble and it's very hard to overdose. The E, on the other hand is fat soluble, meaning it is stored in the fat tissues and can build up to a toxic level over time. But using it for a week or two won't be risky.

Back
Top Bottom