Chicken with No Use of Leg

chickadee1608

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
I have a 1 year old RIR who has always been at the bottom of the pecking order. She has been brutally picked on since she was 6 months old. I separated her so I could treat her wounds and give them time to hear. I tried to reintroduce them, but never could get her back in with the other girls. She had been doing fine until about a month ago when she started limping. It's progressively gotten worse to where she has no control of her bad leg/foot anymore. The joint between her leg and foot is warm to the touch, but the one on her good foot is not. Her stool is usually either runny or just clear. She doesn't have a runny nose or watery eyes. She is still eating and drinking, but she has such a hard time getting around that she usually just sits in the same spot all day (in front of her food and water) unless I bring her outside. I haven't seen any signs of Bumblefoot. I think she may have an infection since I didn't read anything about her joints being warm to the touch with Mareks. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? Do you think it's treatable?

welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

I think that she has Mareks Disease. Mareks is a viral disease that results in tumors. These tumors frequently develop on nerve sheaths and cause lameness and paralysis by putting pressure on these nerves.

I have a 1 year old RIR who has always been at the bottom of the pecking order. She has been brutally picked on since she was 6 months old. I separated her so I could treat her wounds and give them time to hear. I tried to reintroduce them, but never could get her back in with the other girls. She had been doing fine until about a month ago when she started limping. It's progressively gotten worse to where she has no control of her bad leg/foot anymore. The joint between her leg and foot is warm to the touch, but the one on her good foot is not. Her stool is usually either runny or just clear. She doesn't have a runny nose or watery eyes. She is still eating and drinking, but she has such a hard time getting around that she usually just sits in the same spot all day (in front of her food and water) unless I bring her outside. I haven't seen any signs of Bumblefoot. I think she may have an infection since I didn't read anything about her joints being warm to the touch with Mareks. Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? Do you think it's treatable?
Based on everything else you said, disease is a good bet, but the bit I put in bold could be due to injury. I read a thread before where someone's birds were limping then going lame, and they got the vet to check them over once they were put down and the joints were necrotized due to lack of blood flow, apparently a genetic issue. There was another thread where the person did the post mortem themselves and the results were the same. But on just one leg, with heat present, it sounds more likely to be an injury. But all options need looking into for sure.

Best wishes with her.

Back
Top Bottom