Chicken with one eye closed, not feeling right

mmt

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Please HELP! My very favorite chicken, Oprah, is not at all right this morning. Oprah is an Easter Egger, hatched on October 21. I have seven chickens in all, mixed breeds, and they currently live in a big freezer box in our mudroom (we are having the worst winter in ages (Massachusetts) and since I got them so late, there never did seem a reasonable time to transition them to the outdoors...
hmm.png
)

Oprah seemed fine last night. Around 11:00 - I had her and Big Bird, a Buff Orpington, snoozing on my lap, which they love, while I was listening to a book. She seemed totally normal.

This morning when I went to feed them, I noticed she was really hanging back - normally she is the feistiest, pushiest of all the birds. She seemed to be avoiding her mates, looked at the food, pecked a time or two, and then went back to hunker down in one of the sleeping boxes they have in there. After I did horse, cow, and dog chores, I came back in and she still seemed all hunkered down. I called her, she perked up and as she came over to me from the back of the pen I again noticed her avoiding the other chickens and looking at them sort of cockeyed. I put her on my lap and she nestled down right away and I noticed that most of the time she had her left eye closed and the right one open. There does not appear to be a discharge or swelling or anything that I could SEE wrong with the eye other than that she is keeping it closed most of the time and really looking oddly at things.

She is lethargic and not particularly interested in anything and doesn't seem to have pooped since I removed her from the flock about an hour ago. She was sitting on my lap for awhile and seemed reluctant to be removed but I do have to get some work done today. So now she's in a dog crate next to the other hens pen so she can see and hear her friends but has her own space. She is mostly just hunkering down in a box full of shavings.

I have both Sulmet and Terramycin at hand - should I use? Hate to use antibiotics when not necessary as they often weaken the system in other ways.

Also, I should mention, though this may be totally irrelevant... Oprah has never had particularly good vision. While all the other hens can peck grains of whatever very precisely off of my hand. Oprah has never been able to - she has always sort of looked at stuff on my hand a little cockeyed and then pecked ferociously toward the thing but always misses and gets a big peck of hand instead (OUCH) so I never hand feed her..... The same thing happens if there are just a few grains of something on the floor, she pecks at it but always misses. Nonetheless, she seems to get plenty of food when it is all in a big dish in front of her and wherever she pecks she'll come up with a something. As previously noted, she is generally the first to the food dish and makes a big claim on space until she's done.

Please help! I really really love this chicken
sad.png

CORID is a wide spectrum antibiotic that curs most chicken disease. Young chickens are very susceptible to many kinds of respiratory diseases that can cause the symptoms you described, except the eye closing that may be unrelated.

Last edited:
As the day progresses, Oprah is actually feeling feistier again. Eating some, pooping, exploring -- BUT she still has the weird eye thing going on. She opens it if there is a loud noise, flurry of movement, whatever, then it goes back to half mast or closed. And she lies on my lap with one eye closed and one eye open. Other than that she seems 2/3 normal...

Hi all,
I am new to owning chickens. I have three hens (Red Stars). They are about 8 weeks old. I ordered them pre vaccinated when I got them. One of them has become lethargic today. Her name is 'Big Mama' since she has been the 'leader of the pack'. They all get along well. She is also started closing her right eye today. She seemed to eat ok today we will see tomorrow how she eats. Her poop seems ok. Well formed and not runny. Earlier her eye seemed to run clear alot. We rinsed it this evening and it doesn't seem to be discharging now. She has no discharge from her eyes or nose or mouth at this time. Vent looks ok. Does anyone know what it could be. Also does anyone know what the vaccine is for and why the start and grow food is medicated? I have not wormed them. Is the vaccine for worms or do I need to get them de-wormed? Any information would be very helpful. I love them and don't want anything to happen to them. Also I live in NV and it is very hot. About 95-98 during the day. I have been running a mister in their run to keep them cool. I have also separated the lethargic one and brought her inside for the night.

Did she ever recover or did you discover what was wrong? My EE is doing the same thing. She is eating but is holding back from the rest and has the eye thing going on. 4 months old.

Back
Top Bottom