Chicken with Repository Infection

KimberleyKay

Hatching
Jan 27, 2024
I came home and my chickens is wheezing. removed her and she is isolated inside. I am using VetRX to ease breathing. Live a remote mountain town. The only antibiotic I can find tonight is Duramicyn or I have doxycycline tablet form. What should I give her and how much?

Welcome to BYC. Is she having stridor or actually wheezing? Do you see any other symptoms, such as swelling of an eyelid, watery/bubbly eyes, nasal drainage, or gasping? Both of those medicines may treat a bacterial disease, such as mycoplasma, but if it is a virus, those have to run their course. Here is a silkie having stridor, a sound made when a small piece of feed is stuck in the airways. Sometimes it can be mucus, or swelling of the airways. Here is a video showing stridor:

It did kinda sound like that. I have her inside tonight. Ran to Tractor Supply and when I came back she is now breathing normally. No swollen lids and no foam. She had a weird sneeze a month ago and really tried to boost the flock with garlic, red pepper flakes , dried oregano, acv in their water. All was good and then this today. We could hear her from another room. Now she seems fine.

Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Look for any nasal or beak drainage/moisture, head shaking, and any bubbles in either eye. Are the dust or ventilation a problem in the coop? I had one hen who ate too fast and would have stridor occasionally.

last night she kept shaking her head. My problem is getting antibiotics or finding a vet. I see there are online vets. can they get me a prescription if needed? No mucus or eye issues.

Antibiotics will not help at all if the respiratory problem is a virus, from mold fungus, or environmental. Head shaking is a way to clear the airway and nostrils when there is mucus or fluid being overproduced. If you have a trusted vet, call them to see if they would see your chicken. There are some antibiotics, such as Tylosin, Denagard, or oxytetracycline for pigeons or fish, that may be available if there is a bacterial or mycoplasma infection. Those usually cause more severe symptoms, are contagious to the others, and you would see swollen eyelids, bubbles or foam in the eyes. thick nasal drainage, rales or crackles, gasping, mucus dripping from the beak. I would not treat with antibiotics if more of those symptoms do not appear.

She coughed or at least sounded like it. They are well ventilated. I did put straw down for this last layer instead of pine shavings.

The flock is good for now.

She has runny poop now. I have given her apple sauce with peppers and oregano and scrambled yolks. water with acv.

Back
Top Bottom