chicken with sudden laboured breathing!

kristamakk

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2021
okay so, my 2-3 year old chicken Misha has been experiencing sudden bursts of not being able to breathe. she will turn completely blue and i need to keep her next to an open window to get enough oxygen to survive this attack. it will last for 10-20 minutes before she can relax and breathe normally.

so my question is - what could it be? a thrombus in the lungs or severe asthma attacks?
she has had trouble breathing multiple times but it has gotten better with the use of ventolin (used for asthma) and amoksiclav (used for lungs). she is also currently on a subtle blood thinner i case it is a thrombus.

has anyone experienced something similar? i’ve had many chickens with asthma but it has never been this bad, that is why i am lost.

i appreciate any help - she is my heart chicken and i will do anything to help her.

What are you using for bedding? Any use of silica based sand or DE?

What is your location? High humidity can cause mold issues, and the spores can cause chronic respiratory illness such as aspergillosis.

What are you using for bedding? Any use of silica based sand or DE?

What is your location? High humidity can cause mold issues, and the spores can cause chronic respiratory illness such as aspergillosis.
we use straw and live in latvia, we do not have high humidity. but i have good news - she has gotten better. these bursts have become shorter and easier for her. i have high suspicion of asthma, because her sisters also had genetic breathing problems. (they are rescues from an egg farm.)

Back
Top Bottom