Chicken with suspected upper respiratory, treatment?

Casastash

Songster
Nov 27, 2017
Argyle, Manitoba Canada
I got a whole new gorgeous flock last week!

I seperated all birds that came
from different breeding pens in quarantine and took a few out and seperated that needed extra attention.

This girl looked not well as soon as she was out of the crate. The breeder let me know she had been treated with ivermectin for what i can assume was mites. I think the move stressed her out enough to give her a upper resp!

Can you treat upper resp with noromycin?

I can go to the vet tomorrow when they open for something different but they are closed wednesday/ thursdays :(

I have her in her own stall with food, scrambled egg and water... what else should I be doing?

her comb had been pale since she got here but could be from molt?
I’m also wondering if that’s the beginning of a bubble in her eye?

View attachment 1557767View attachment 1557769View attachment 1557770

sorry for lighting our barn had ugly fluorescent lights!

is anything like mucus coming out of her nose?do they have access to a herb garden?chickens instinctivly eat herbs that are good for them like oregano,chives,sage.unless it is just my hens that like chives

You can use the Noromycin (oxytetracycline) injectable. The dosage that Poultry DVM says to use is 5 mg per Kilogram (each 2.2 pounds,) given every 12 to 24 hours.

In the picture she looks like she has conjunctivitis (pinkeye) which is common in respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG.) Tetracyclines and drugs like tylosin are used to treat respiratory diseases if caused by MG or bacteria. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water. I would also give her 1 tsp of plain yogurt for probiotics daily for several days, then twice a week after the antibiotics.

You can also put some antibiotic ointment or drops into the eye twice daily such as terramycin, neosporin, or similar. Look her over for mites and lice, especially under the vent area when parting the feathers. Permethrin is best for lice or mites, and it can still be found in Canada, but I have forgotten the name of the product. But since the breeder treated with ivomec, it would be wise to wait 14 days and recheck her for mites.

If your vet can prescribe Tylan or tylosin in the water, that might be better than giving injections. Oxytetracycline is also available to use in water.

So I spoke with the breeder I got the flock from and the hen had ivermectin because a different breeding pen had mites, so she did her whole barn .

I checked for mites and none in sight.

I think its upper resp brought on by stress. Loading all the birds took 2 hours then another 20 min home and getting birds sorted and tagged!

I will take this little lady to the vet tomorrow, I think she looks a little rougher because shes molting but better safe then sorry! Thanks All

Back
Top Bottom